Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Forum

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Forum

Hi all, just signed to the Forum to get helpful information and hopefully answers to questions that I have. I have on hand Taylor K-1004 test kit, but ordered the CYA kit and a new reader 2000 series to get me up to 10ppm for chlorine and pH. Operating Hayward XStream Power-Flow Matrix 1hp filtration system.
    Opened 22' Intex pool May 10 and had water read by pool business... CYA-76, TA 122, FC/CC were low but was just opened. Water was trucked in to cap pool and was filled last yr using same service.
    Current readings:
    pH-7.3ppm
    TA-70ppm
    FC/CC-15 ?ppm (I did this which is not accurate by dilution of 1/5 ratio to get 3ppm
    After reading on forum, I'm a bad girl and have been using dichlor pucks and shocking w/ 99% trichlor.
    #1: I know CYA is real high by now, is it still safe to swim w/ FC @ 15ppm..My water is crystal clear and sparkling.
    I need to get the shock up to 60 according to chart as I've been seeing mustard algae for the past 10 days... been vacuuming pool, cleaning walls and bottom, and cleaning cartridge filter regularly. I really don't want to have to drain pool/fill until end of season
    Thanks
    Beth

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Forum

Beth, Welcome to TFP.

I hate to break it to you girl but you need to do a partial drain/refill. You should also look into adding the FAS/DPD test from TFtestkits.net to complete a kit for yourself as you're going to need to test FC over 10ppm without dilution. You loose accuracy when you start diluting.

Also, if you haven't already see Pool School, here are a couple links for you:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New to Forum

That's what I was afraid of. I have ordered the CYA test and the FAS/DPD test kit. They should be arriving next week. Oh yea, I have read them and re-read them...lol... even did copy/paste for some as a quick reference...lol

Thanks
    10,400 gal AG Intex 22'x52".....Hayward XStream w/Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 hp