PLease help with clogged skimmer line.

Tedb

Jun 30, 2014
Central Florida
I am fairly new to pool maintenance. I was paying someone to it but he is currently unavailable. I thought it would be a good time to learn myself. Anyway, I purchased 2 1lb bags of shock to treat my pool. The bag said either to spread it around the pool or that it can be poured into the skimmer with the pump running. I removed the basket and poured in the shock. The skimmer line is now clogged and I can detect no suction coming from it. I assume I added the powder in too fast and it blocked the line. I tried using a garden hose and putting it down the hole. That did not work. I dried using a drain bladder to force the clog out. That didn't work either. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

When I used a drain bladder through the skimmer, the bladder popped. I tried going through the pump end like you suggested but the suction port for the vaccum and the skimmer are connected. The bladder didn't pop but all the water is going through the hose suction port. I tried closing the cover and holding it in with my hands, but water is still forcing its way out the sides and nothing is coming through the skimmer line.

Dumb question but did you make sure your diverted valve (if you have on) was set to skimmer all the way? Reason I ask is a co worker had the same problem, called a plumber and he opened the skimmer side fully and the used a drain king (same thing he had tried but with skimmer part way closed) and worked

Dumb question but did you make sure your diverted valve (if you have on) was set to skimmer all the way? Reason I ask is a co worker had the same problem, called a plumber and he opened the skimmer side fully and the used a drain king (same thing he had tried but with skimmer part way closed) and worked

I figured that out. I feel pretty silly now. Since I have never really taken care of my pool myself, I wasn't sure how all the valves worked. I assumed the skimmer and vacuum where connected. Fortunately,
I noticed the problem before I made a service call.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.