Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PLease help with clogged skimmer line.

1. Back To Top    #1

PLease help with clogged skimmer line.

I am fairly new to pool maintenance. I was paying someone to it but he is currently unavailable. I thought it would be a good time to learn myself. Anyway, I purchased 2 1lb bags of shock to treat my pool. The bag said either to spread it around the pool or that it can be poured into the skimmer with the pump running. I removed the basket and poured in the shock. The skimmer line is now clogged and I can detect no suction coming from it. I assume I added the powder in too fast and it blocked the line. I tried using a garden hose and putting it down the hole. That did not work. I dried using a drain bladder to force the clog out. That didn't work either. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PLease help with clogged skimmer line.

Go the other direction. Shut the pump off, open the strainer and remove the basket, and stick the drain bladder in the pump inlet and see it blasting the other way helps.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll try that. The drain bladder I used through the skimmer burst open almost right away.

Thanks
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

4. Back To Top    #4

When I used a drain bladder through the skimmer, the bladder popped. I tried going through the pump end like you suggested but the suction port for the vaccum and the skimmer are connected. The bladder didn't pop but all the water is going through the hose suction port. I tried closing the cover and holding it in with my hands, but water is still forcing its way out the sides and nothing is coming through the skimmer line.
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like it's time for a plumber.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Dumb question but did you make sure your diverted valve (if you have on) was set to skimmer all the way? Reason I ask is a co worker had the same problem, called a plumber and he opened the skimmer side fully and the used a drain king (same thing he had tried but with skimmer part way closed) and worked
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Iciee View Post
    Dumb question but did you make sure your diverted valve (if you have on) was set to skimmer all the way? Reason I ask is a co worker had the same problem, called a plumber and he opened the skimmer side fully and the used a drain king (same thing he had tried but with skimmer part way closed) and worked
    I figured that out. I feel pretty silly now. Since I have never really taken care of my pool myself, I wasn't sure how all the valves worked. I assumed the skimmer and vacuum where connected. Fortunately,
    I noticed the problem before I made a service call.