Help with Green Water Please

Jun 28, 2014
CT
Hi, I moved into a home with a 5,200 gallon above ground pool. We've recently opened the pool and it started out crystal clear. On this past Thursday ago it turned teal so I tested the water. 6.4 ph, 40 Alk, 0 hardness, 0 FC (We clearly let the chlorine drop). We brought a pool sample to Leslie Pools so they could help as we're new pool owners. They told us our CYA was fine at 35 and gave us 5 lbs Soda Ash to raise ph right away then told us to add Hardness Plus the next day.

Friday morning (Soda Ash was added the previous night) the pool turned lime green and cloudy. No change in water test results. We brought another sample and the rep told us that there were metals detected (which were not detected the previous day) and we added about 8oz of Metal Free.

Saturday the pool was still lime but I added 12 lb of Hardness Plus. 4 hours later, our water test read 6.4 ph, 40 Alk, CL 1 and 250 Hardness. In the evening, I added about 1/2 gallon liquid chlorine. After a few hours my tests read Alk 40, pH 6.4, FC , Hardness 350. Around midnight I added another 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine.

Sunday the water was still green and my tests read Alk 60, pH 6.4, FC 7.5, Hardness 250. To get my alk and pH up I added 2 lbs baking soda. After 8 hours, my tests read Alk 80, pH 6.6, FC 5, hardness 450. At night I added an additional 2lbs baking soda.

This morning it seems my water is finally balanced because my tests read Alk 120, pH 7.2, FC 7.5, Hardness 250. The water is still green but not quite as cloudy (but still cloudy, can barely make out the floor of the pool).

Throughout this, we've been running the filter like crazy and backwashing and cleaning the filter cartridge every other day.

Does anyone have any tips on what we can do to clean up our pool?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

To clear up the pool you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and to do that you have to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits with the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

You also need to realize that the pool store is there to make money and you would be better off taking control yourself and stop trusting their testing.

I also recommend reading some of Pool School to start to learn the chemistry. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.