Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks to TFP forhelping me understanding TDS!

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks to TFP forhelping me understanding TDS!

I was a bit desperate yesterday: We just bought a home with a 24000 gallon pool. Beautiful clear water but when I took a sample to Leslie's the salesman said we have to drain the pool now as the "TDS" is at 3500.
    Knowing California is in a drought I did not want to empty the pool. Everything else was perfect except for higher phosphates ( 400) and the TDS. I bought the products to get the phosphates down and found this fantastic site that explained not to really panic on the TDS. Thanks TFP for being there!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thanks to TFP forhelping me understanding TDS!

Welcome to TFP!!!

So did you take the magic potion and return it to the store?

If you want to take control, you need to cut ties with the pool store testing and invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. The best value is the TF-100, order it from poolsupplyworld.com (west coast distributor) and you will get it a few days.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you ! I will use the phosphate products ( $79 for both products) but am not buying anything else. Will order the rest from poolsupplyworld.com
    Thanks again!

4. Back To Top    #4

Why? Take them back and that will pay for your test kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Like jbizzle said return them. They are nothing but snake oil. Use that money for bleach/chlorine or a test kit.
    Besides I have threads where some people have had adverse reactions with those chemicals due to some other stuff in the water they had no idea was in there ie metals

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

6. Back To Top    #6

Like they said, phosphates are meaningless in a well balanced pool. Think of it like this phosphate is algae food, phosphate removers only remove some of the phosphates, but not all, so you still have algae food in the pool. Chlorine kills algae, if all the algae is dead it does not matter if you have a little or a lot of algae food in the pool.

TDS is another meaningless measurement, it stands for total dissolved solids, this test may have had a place a few decades ago, but now that we have individual test for the majority of the component types of solids it is next to useless. Think of the TDS test as being like going to your doctor and he tells you that you may be eating too much of something, but can't tell you what, or maybe not.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Great advice !!! Bringing back tomorrow! Thanks to all!!!