Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine Brands

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine Brands

I'll start with my CYA is 45....

I'm using a gallon of HTH liquid Chlorine a day (light bather load 4ppl).

Does this seem about normal consumption??? Trying to maintain 3-6 ppm

20x40 IG Vinyl 35k gal, Hayward 24" Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Jandy 1.5hp Pump, Southwest Part of MI
    Using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine Brands

That gallon of 10% bleach is adding 2.9ppm of FC to your pool every day ... that is within the normal range which is 2-4ppm of FC daily.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it still normal for the 3ppm of FC to be used up daily?

20x40 IG Vinyl 35k gal, Hayward 24" Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Jandy 1.5hp Pump, Southwest Part of MI
    Using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #4

That is what I said. Normal is between 2 and 4ppm used each day. Raise the CYA some and you may lose less.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Guess I should buy stock in HTH then, thanks!

Using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6

Liquid chlorine is Sodium Hypochlorite. Sodium Hypochlorite is Bleach! It is sold in various percentages and under various names.
    I see HTH liquid chlorine is 10% and about $12.00 a gallon? I'm sure you can buy liquid chlorine (Bleach/Sodium Hypochlorite) for much less. I buy Austin's Pool Tech Shock from Ollie's. It is 12% liquid chlorine (Bleach/Sodium Hypochlorite)for $2.39 a gallon. WalMart sells 8.25% bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite) for a good price also. There are many places and avenues you can buy liquid chlorine. (Bleach/Sodium Hypochlorite)
    Here is a copy of the link on bleach prices in our forum: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ch-Prices-2014

Good luck and stop paying so much!!

Remember to buy only unscented regular bleach for your pool. You don't want your pool to smell like your washer!
    16,000 gallon Oval Vinyl Liner Pool (new liner 2014)
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    Purex Triton Model cc100 Cartridge Filter, 100 gpm flow rate, Penfair 1HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Not sure where you got your pricing for HTH, but we buy it at Wallmart for under 3$ a gallon Thanks

Using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gardnerp81 View Post
    Not sure where you got your pricing for HTH, but we buy it at Wallmart for under 3$ a gallon Thanks

You should have a Menards somewhere nearby. They are selling 12.5% "liquid shock" (just sodium hypochlorite) for $1.98/gallon. Go load up your trunk, back seat and anything else you can carry it with!

(And, yes, I'm using about 3 ppm/day.)
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

9. Back To Top    #9

I just "Googled" it and that was the price on it somewhere....... glad you are not paying that much or just running to the "pool store" for it!!

Good luck with the pool, enjoy the water!
    16,000 gallon Oval Vinyl Liner Pool (new liner 2014)
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    Purex Triton Model cc100 Cartridge Filter, 100 gpm flow rate, Penfair 1HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Just got back from Menards, got 24 gallons, thanks for the tip!

Using Tapatalk

11. Back To Top    #11

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

You will have to get off Tapatalk to get this set.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Just got back from Menards, got 24 gallons, thanks for the tip!

You're very welcome! Glad to help out.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!