Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ever treat the FC DAILY with bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

ever treat the FC DAILY with bleach

Has anyone ever tried to treat the FC daily with bleach (not talking about the fancy gadgets that will do that for you)?
    For example, suppose you know that your pool requires a specific quantity of bleach every three days, the FC drops from 7 to 3 & you bump it back up to 7 every three days. If it is convenient because you are at the pool anyways every day, why not just put in one third of the usual amount daily and that will keep the FC at the higher 7 range rather than letting it get down to the lower 3 range?
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ever treat the FC DAILY with bleach

I think pretty much everyone here who is a jug-dumper adds every day.

It's even listed as a daily task in Pool School: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-care-schedule
    Daily
    • Look at the water, notice the clarity and color.
    • Test the chlorine level and adjust if needed.
    • Test the pH and adjust if needed.
    • Examine the skimmer(s) and clean if needed.
    • Use a leaf rake to remove any surface debris.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I feed my pool every night. I do NOT have anything fancy to do it for me. I will say I test everything about three times a week unless there has been heavy rain or bather load.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I add mine everyday. Usually in the early morning. I pretty much know now how much I need to add. So I test every few days to make sure all is in order.
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Every evening about an hour before dark when the pool is finally in the shade... Good time for a cocktail too!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sminor View Post
    Good time for a cocktail too!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Sminor View Post
    Every evening about an hour before dark when the pool is finally in the shade... Good time for a couple Brews too!
    Same here, fixed it.

My question would be, "why wouldn't it be done daily?"
    21' x 54" AGP Heritage 12,000 gallons.
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP15922S 2 Speed 1 HP
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24"
    My SLAM Another swamp, is it worth it? Drain or gain?

8. Back To Top    #8

Another vote for "daily".
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I feed my pool every night. I do NOT have anything fancy to do it for me. I will say I test everything about three times a week unless there has been heavy rain or bather load.

Kim
    This.

after watching trends over several weeks, I know how hungry my pool is every day. I still test about 3-4 x weekly because the Speed Stir is just so darn fun!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post
    I still test about 3-4 x weekly because the Speed Stir is just so darn fun!
    If you like the Speed Stir, you also need the Sample Sizer (Note, no relation to this vendor, just one I fund quick
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Every day and I have the white dots on my clothes to prove it. Just put a stenner pump in about a month ago. YIPPEEEE
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

12. Back To Top    #12

I test and dose every day. Usually about 20 - 35 oz. For my pool that's 2-3.5 ppm
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

Another daily doser here, usually after the sun is off the pool.
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep