Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light problem and thinking of going for LED (which one?)

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light problem and thinking of going for LED (which one?)

I changed the 500W halogen bulb on my pool light with a generic heavy duty bulb T3 from HD and since, every year, it kept going out. And it wasn't the bulb that went bad but the contact at the 2 ends that hold the bulb. I had to sand out the deposit and reinstalled the old bulb and it work for a about a year and repeat the process. I am not sure what caused the deposit but I think because I didn't let it completely dry out before putting the seal back and the moisture got on the metal parts where they hold the bulb. Or may be the lube material from the gasket is water base? What do you think?

Also, What is the common suggestions here for LED fixture. I am thinking Pentair white LED but I am not sue if there are better choices. The existing light we have now is a Star-Rite Sunbrite 05509-3015-3050, by the way. Pentair doesn't list the dimension on their light so I have to find the info somewhere else.

Thx
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light problem and thinking of going for LED (which one?)

Here is a link to the Pentair 5g Color LED light. There are dimensions on the right column and I would make a sure bet that the design between the white and color LED lights are the same excluding the internal boards. http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...-lights-74.htm
    28500gal 20'x40' IG Plaster; Pentair CC Plus 420 Cartridge; Pentair SuperFlo Variable Speed 1.5hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Thx for the Link. They must have added it some time between yesterday and today, LOL....I wrote them an email asking for the dimension (which I found later from a vendor's site) and now I see it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you putting Di - electric grease on the bulb when you install it? Would certainly help keep that corrosion from forming...
    40,000 gallon ig gunite, Pentair Challanger Century Centurion 2.2 HP Pump, FNS 60 DE filter, Polaris 280, Century Centurion 3/4 HP Booster Pump, Attached ig spa - 1HP Centurion pump - Dual non functioning blowers

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by heavyzee View Post
    Are you putting Di - electric grease on the bulb when you install it? Would certainly help keep that corrosion from forming...
    No, never did. Great idea! Thx