Advice on L Shaped Pool plumbing with 3 skimmers

mdb

Jun 13, 2007
(Edited because formatting messed up the diagram.)

I have an L shaped pool that is designed with three AquaGenies (skimmer and wide mouth return all in one), so there are three pipes coming back to the pad, and three pipes going back to the returns on the AquaGenies. There is no main drain in this pool, it's just the three lines from the skimmers.

When I put this pad together, I joined the three pipes in series which causes problems with suction - so for example the closest skimmer to the pad gets the best flow.

Let me preface this - I wish I had done things a little differently when I built this pool, but too late now - so there are 1-1/2" lines from the pad to the skimmers and returns. The pad equipment is all 2". If I had this to do over I would have gone 2" pipe and adjustable returns instead of AGs - but overall it's not bad.

Now that I'm re-doing the pad from scratch (new cartridge filter system and new variable pump), I'm looking to even the flows as much as possible.

Right now its like this (top):

plumbing.jpg

Because it's series, to get even-ish flows I adjust the valves.

I'm thinking of going with a different design (bottom) - has anyone ever used a double wye or a cross to go to the pump? The double wye I think is an interesting idea, but I feel like a cross would be a bad idea with the flows colliding at the junction leading to the pump...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what I can do at the pad to improve this.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.