Algae from!

Jun 25, 2014
New Hampton ,ny
I've done everything to try to get rid if this algae for the last week and a half. Ive had to change my sand due to it being clogged of debris and and it was also full of algae. Shocked after that and had no change.
Reading after that z6/28/14.
FC 9.53
TC 9.53
CC 0
pH 8
TA 37
CA 87
CH 247
Had to drain about 15 inch. Of water and added new water.
Reading today 6/30/14
FC 1.44
TC 1.74
CC .3
Ph 7.8
TA 37
CA 68
Copper.2
Iron .1
cH263

Now they are telling me to remove more water In Order to go forward and remove the algae. Please someone help me...I need to know can I go forward shocking or do I really have to drain again.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, the one thing you have not done is follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and to do that correctly, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and stop trusting the historically horrendous pool store testing and advice.

You should DEFINITELY switch to only using liquid chlorine because if the CYA value of 68ppm is to be believed, it is already/still above our recommended level of 30-50ppm, and the solid forms of chlorine may be raising this making your problems worse.

There is not need to drain, there is just a need to learn and take control.

Have you found Pool School yet? Start with these to begin your learning and ask questions as they come up:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

CYA reading of 67 sounds like results from a pool store. Pool store readings are notorious for being inaccurate, especially CYA. Your first step should be to get one of the recommended test kits and do your own testing. Get the TF-100. You won't regret it.

I'm in the process of getting the TF-100...well I Super shocked my pool with 4gal of liquid super shock and my water finally changed from a dark green to a bluish green...went to he pool store and they said not to shock again because my FC and CC was to high. The store recommended that I wait a day and bring down my ph with 2lbs add 2 gal of shock then backwash.....don't know if I should Listen to them....because they have been wrong so far...Here are my new readings.

FC 20
TC 20
CC 0
PH 7.7
TA input 77
TA op 54
CH 244
Copper .2
CYA 69

I scrubbed the walls and I'm waiting to later to backwash....should I super shock again. Please help! The store

don't know if I should Listen to them....because they have been wrong so far...Here are my new readings.
No, you shouldn't listen to them.

I know this is a lot of information to consume in a short period of time, but they are WRONG. Just assuming that your CYA is 67 (I believe you will find it much higher with your own test kit) you need to have a FC level of 28 to start really killing the algae (shock level).

Are you getting the "liquid shock" at a decent price?

What is the active % of the shock you are using (on the side of the bottle)?

Until you get your test kit you will just be conducting a holding action.

While your pH is nearing the upper end, I wouldn't add two pounds of acid.

Things to do while you wait for your kit:
Read Pool School
Pick up a gallon of muratic acid from Lowes (blue label, 30% in the paint section usually)
Read more Pool School
Buy a bunch of chlorine; liquid shock if the price is right, plain old bleach from WalMart works too
Read more Pool School
Pour a couple of gallons of bleach in the pool each day. It's not going to clear it up, maybe just hold off turning the pool into a full swamp.
Read more Pool School
Fix a drink, it's really not that bad - you can do it!
Read more Pool School

The store recommended that I wait a day and bring down my ph with 2lbs add 2 gal of shock then backwash.....don't know if I should Listen to them....because they have been wrong so far...
2 pounds of what? Anyway, not needed. pH reads a false high when the FC is above 10, which the pool store apparently does not know.
There is nothing wrong with the pH being 7.7.

But, the best thing I can say is, don't trust those test results. When is your TF100 due to arrive?

In the interim, you could add one gallon or two of bleach/liquid chlorine each evening, just to try to keep ahead of the green.

You should backwash/rinse the filter when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure psi.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Both tim5055 ("a couple of gallons") and Butterfly ("one or two gallons") did suggest adding roughly that amount of bleach/liquid chlorine each day until the kit arrives.

Presumably the prayer is for improvement before the kit arrives and the SLAM starts in earnest ?

I missed that that the test kit was on order already ..... but no where have I seen that Shelly has started to use PoolMath to calculate dosages. Granted difficult to do when you have no test results.
Jason,
Yup, I just told her to add a couple a day to keep the wolf at bay until the kit arrives.

Anyone got the formula handy for figuring the per oz cost? For some reason the 4 gallon 12.5% seems expensive for $21 to me.

Good news guys...my pool is finally back to normal. I woke up this morning found the pool with some green stains and it was a little hazy. I brushed the pool and backwashed and now we are clear. My question is now my FC is still 20. We are having a rainstorm right now so wondering will that bring down the FC? Do I still run the filter for 24hrs and if so how long do I do it for.

Today's test from pool store. Test has not arrived.
FC 20
TC 20
TA 48
CYA 70

Do I add baking soda to raise the alkalinity

Thank u guys for all your help.

Have you passed the OCLT? That is one of the criteria to stop?
Is the water crystal clear? That is another requirement.

Without your test kit, you can not know that you are done with the SLAM process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.