Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae from!

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae from!

I've done everything to try to get rid if this algae for the last week and a half. Ive had to change my sand due to it being clogged of debris and and it was also full of algae. Shocked after that and had no change.
    Reading after that z6/28/14.
    FC 9.53
    TC 9.53
    CC 0
    pH 8
    TA 37
    CA 87
    CH 247
    Had to drain about 15 inch. Of water and added new water.
    Reading today 6/30/14
    FC 1.44
    TC 1.74
    CC .3
    Ph 7.8
    TA 37
    CA 68
    Copper.2
    Iron .1
    cH263

Now they are telling me to remove more water In Order to go forward and remove the algae. Please someone help me...I need to know can I go forward shocking or do I really have to drain again.
    AG 24x54 Mission vinyl 14,700 gal,
    Pentair Sand Dollar 40, (Sand Filter) gPM 40
    Dynamo pump 1.5 HP
    Installed2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae from!

Also wanted to know can I use liquid shock with these numbers to try and kill the algae "
    Dynamo pump 1.5 HP
    Installed2013

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, the one thing you have not done is follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and to do that correctly, you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and stop trusting the historically horrendous pool store testing and advice.

You should DEFINITELY switch to only using liquid chlorine because if the CYA value of 68ppm is to be believed, it is already/still above our recommended level of 30-50ppm, and the solid forms of chlorine may be raising this making your problems worse.

There is not need to drain, there is just a need to learn and take control.

Have you found Pool School yet? Start with these to begin your learning and ask questions as they come up:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Can I use 4 gallons of liquid shock to start the process even though my cya is 67.
    Dynamo pump 1.5 HP
    Installed2013

5. Back To Top    #5

You have to use PoolMath to calculate the amount of bleach you need to reach shock level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA reading of 67 sounds like results from a pool store. Pool store readings are notorious for being inaccurate, especially CYA. Your first step should be to get one of the recommended test kits and do your own testing. Get the TF-100. You won't regret it.
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm in the process of getting the TF-100...well I Super shocked my pool with 4gal of liquid super shock and my water finally changed from a dark green to a bluish green...went to he pool store and they said not to shock again because my FC and CC was to high. The store recommended that I wait a day and bring down my ph with 2lbs add 2 gal of shock then backwash.....don't know if I should Listen to them....because they have been wrong so far...Here are my new readings.

FC 20
    TC 20
    CC 0
    PH 7.7
    TA input 77
    TA op 54
    CH 244
    Copper .2
    CYA 69

I scrubbed the walls and I'm waiting to later to backwash....should I super shock again. Please help! The store
    Dynamo pump 1.5 HP
    Installed2013

8. Back To Top    #8

As Jason said You need to use pool math to calculate.
    And Welcome to the forum
    35900 inground, 1 1/2 hp superpump, Jacuzzi sand filter, barracuda 3 cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly823 View Post
    don't know if I should Listen to them....because they have been wrong so far...Here are my new readings.
    No, you shouldn't listen to them.

I know this is a lot of information to consume in a short period of time, but they are WRONG. Just assuming that your CYA is 67 (I believe you will find it much higher with your own test kit) you need to have a FC level of 28 to start really killing the algae (shock level).

Are you getting the "liquid shock" at a decent price?

What is the active % of the shock you are using (on the side of the bottle)?

Until you get your test kit you will just be conducting a holding action.

While your pH is nearing the upper end, I wouldn't add two pounds of acid.

Things to do while you wait for your kit:
    Read Pool School
    Pick up a gallon of muratic acid from Lowes (blue label, 30% in the paint section usually)
    Read more Pool School
    Buy a bunch of chlorine; liquid shock if the price is right, plain old bleach from WalMart works too
    Read more Pool School
    Pour a couple of gallons of bleach in the pool each day. It's not going to clear it up, maybe just hold off turning the pool into a full swamp.
    Read more Pool School
    Fix a drink, it's really not that bad - you can do it!
    Read more Pool School
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

The store recommended that I wait a day and bring down my ph with 2lbs add 2 gal of shock then backwash.....don't know if I should Listen to them....because they have been wrong so far...
    2 pounds of what? Anyway, not needed. pH reads a false high when the FC is above 10, which the pool store apparently does not know.
    There is nothing wrong with the pH being 7.7.

But, the best thing I can say is, don't trust those test results. When is your TF100 due to arrive?

In the interim, you could add one gallon or two of bleach/liquid chlorine each evening, just to try to keep ahead of the green.

You should backwash/rinse the filter when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure psi.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Tim
    I am using liquid chlorine...the price for 4 gal is 21.00 verses 3 Clorox for 9.00 at sams. Active ingredient is 12.5% which is more then Clorox which is 8%. Tonight I will be adding 2 more gal of liquid shock and pray it gets better...
    Dynamo pump 1.5 HP
    Installed2013

12. Back To Top    #12

Why 2 gallons?
    Are you reading anything we are suggesting?
    There is no need for prayer, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process using a Recommended Test Kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Both tim5055 ("a couple of gallons") and Butterfly ("one or two gallons") did suggest adding roughly that amount of bleach/liquid chlorine each day until the kit arrives.

Presumably the prayer is for improvement before the kit arrives and the SLAM starts in earnest ?
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

14. Back To Top    #14

I missed that that the test kit was on order already ..... but no where have I seen that Shelly has started to use PoolMath to calculate dosages. Granted difficult to do when you have no test results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I missed that that the test kit was on order already ..... but no where have I seen that Shelly has started to use PoolMath to calculate dosages. Granted difficult to do when you have no test results.
    Jason,
    Yup, I just told her to add a couple a day to keep the wolf at bay until the kit arrives.

Anyone got the formula handy for figuring the per oz cost? For some reason the 4 gallon 12.5% seems expensive for $21 to me.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

16. Back To Top    #16

Good news guys...my pool is finally back to normal. I woke up this morning found the pool with some green stains and it was a little hazy. I brushed the pool and backwashed and now we are clear. My question is now my FC is still 20. We are having a rainstorm right now so wondering will that bring down the FC? Do I still run the filter for 24hrs and if so how long do I do it for.

Today's test from pool store. Test has not arrived.
    FC 20
    TC 20
    TA 48
    CYA 70

Do I add baking soda to raise the alkalinity

Thank u guys for all your help.
    Dynamo pump 1.5 HP
    Installed2013

17. Back To Top    #17

Have you passed the OCLT? That is one of the criteria to stop?
    Is the water crystal clear? That is another requirement.

Without your test kit, you can not know that you are done with the SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

I don't have the kit yet but the water is clear.
    Dynamo pump 1.5 HP
    Installed2013

19. Back To Top    #19

When will it be delivered?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly823 View Post
    ... but the water is clear.
    For now .....
    Why not follow the process and KNOW that there is nothing still in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator