Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello all,

I just recently opened up my brand new gunite/plaster inground pool and have found this site extremely useful. This is my first time owning any type of pool and until I found TFP, I was somewhat terrified of trying to keep the water in good condition since I have zero experience.

I bought and received my TF-100 kit last week, and now feel like I am well on my way to complete control over this watery beast. (My only regret is not ordering the auto-mixer up front.)

Now, onto my question. The only uncertainty I really have at this point is how much water is actually in my pool. It's a standard Roman style pool, meaning it's basically rectangular, but with the corners rounded off to make a half circle on each end of the pool. The dimensions are 18' x 38' with the 38' foot length being from tip to tip of each half circle. The average depth is 5.5' (3' and 8')

Using the PoolMath calculator here, I found that a rectangular pool of these dimensions would have a volume of 28100 gal, while an oval pool would have 26300 gal. So if I were take the average of those two, it'd be just about 27200 gal. Does this estimate seem reasonable?

Please let me know if I left any needed info out for this. Thank you in advance for any help.

FC - 2.5
CC- 0.5
TC - 3.0
pH - 7.2
TA - 90
CYA - 10
CH - 175
Bor - 0

A little side info on why I'm not really sure about the pool volume. I tried raising TA from 80 to 100 over the weekend and thought I'd have it nailed with the amount I got from PoolMath. I added the exact amount of baking soda prescribed on Sat afternoon, and then tested on Sunday morning. The test showed that TA was still only at 90. I didn't think that I did anything wrong in PoolMath, so I figured the only variable that was probably wrong was my estimation of volume of my pool. I think I estimated at 23000 gal previously, since that's what my pool contractor had been telling all along. This is the reason my CYA and Borates are still really low, since I wanted to make sure I had the process down correctly with something that was more easily reversible than CYA or Borates first, and then add those two afterward.

linerpool_roman.jpg

An example of a roman style pool, although mine is plaster.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Good choice on the test kit :goodjob:

Based on the info, I would suggest starting with 27k for your dosing and see if your are consistently high or low and adjust the volume as needed. Certainly sounds like your previous estimate was too low since your TA and CYA are all low. But, no reason to raise the TA any more.

Get that CYA up to 30-40ppm and maintain adequate FC and you will have a great summer.

Great. Thanks jblizzle. I know I have some work ahead of me still, but hopefully I'll wrap this up by the end of the week and then just concentrate on FC and keeping the pool clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.