Teflon base do-ring lube

Jun 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Is Teflon based lube OK for o-rings?

I want to lube up my pump pot gasket but I don't want to use the wrong lube. The brand I got from Ace is called Tube Lube and it says it can be used in marine applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the teflon based becomes tacky after it is applied, which is annoying and hard to clean off. Once the teflon stuff I have is gone, I am going to find some silicon based stuff.

I think the teflon based becomes tacky after it is applied, which is annoying and hard to clean off. Once the teflon stuff I have is gone, I am going to find some silicon based stuff.

Yeah. I remember from my lab days of working on vacuum equipment we stayed away from anything Teflon based for many reasons (volatile precursors, cross-linking reactions, hardening, etc).

I think I'm gonna ditch the stuff and try to find a silicone based lube.

Does anyone know a good silicone based product that the pro's use?

BOSS 820 lube description on Amazon:

Product Description
This pool and spa lubricant is a silicon dioxide thickened, high molecular weight dimethyl polysiloxane-based material. It is a stiff, tacky dielectric compound with excellent water repellency. Pool and spa lubricant was designed for use as a water repellent, sealing compound. Grease-like consistency, high tack, chemical inactivity and superior dielectric properties make it an excellent choice for use in water applications. It is an excellent release agent and lubricant for rubber and plastic parts such as O-rings, valves or plastic gears. Boss pool and spa lubricant is the premier product for lubrication in the pool and spa industry. Available in clear color and 3-ounce size. Includes 1 lubricants per pack.

It's $11.95 for a 3oz tube. Pretty expensive but it sounds like the right stuff. I suspect 3oz will probably last years.

Thanks all!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.