Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teflon base do-ring lube

1. Back To Top    #1

Teflon base do-ring lube

Is Teflon based lube OK for o-rings?

I want to lube up my pump pot gasket but I don't want to use the wrong lube. The brand I got from Ace is called Tube Lube and it says it can be used in marine applications.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Teflon base do-ring lube

Normal pool lube is silicon based.

Looking at the label, I'd say you could use that.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What you have is what is sold at most pool supply stores.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the teflon based becomes tacky after it is applied, which is annoying and hard to clean off. Once the teflon stuff I have is gone, I am going to find some silicon based stuff.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I think the teflon based becomes tacky after it is applied, which is annoying and hard to clean off. Once the teflon stuff I have is gone, I am going to find some silicon based stuff.
    Yeah. I remember from my lab days of working on vacuum equipment we stayed away from anything Teflon based for many reasons (volatile precursors, cross-linking reactions, hardening, etc).

I think I'm gonna ditch the stuff and try to find a silicone based lube.

Does anyone know a good silicone based product that the pro's use?

6. Back To Top    #6

James had good suggestions here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...al-lubrication

Which is where I learned why the lube I have does what it does and why I am going to switch.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

BOSS 820 lube description on Amazon:

Product Description
    This pool and spa lubricant is a silicon dioxide thickened, high molecular weight dimethyl polysiloxane-based material. It is a stiff, tacky dielectric compound with excellent water repellency. Pool and spa lubricant was designed for use as a water repellent, sealing compound. Grease-like consistency, high tack, chemical inactivity and superior dielectric properties make it an excellent choice for use in water applications. It is an excellent release agent and lubricant for rubber and plastic parts such as O-rings, valves or plastic gears. Boss pool and spa lubricant is the premier product for lubrication in the pool and spa industry. Available in clear color and 3-ounce size. Includes 1 lubricants per pack.

It's $11.95 for a 3oz tube. Pretty expensive but it sounds like the right stuff. I suspect 3oz will probably last years.

Thanks all!!!