Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In pool, pool chairs/bench idea

1. Back To Top    #1

In pool, pool chairs/bench idea

I've looked around on search and whatnot, but didn't really find what I am looking for...

I was thinkin about making some PVC seating for inside my AGP. the concept would have it hang over the top rails and be completely movable all around the sides. could either do a single seat or a bench typa deal. even thought about making it adjustable height with cotter pins and such to accommodate whoever. has anyone attempted this type of "in pool" seating before?
    27' Round Sharkline Venture 17K Gallon AGP
    Pentair SD80 26" Sand Filter
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5HP Dual Speed Pump
    45MPHP10 Stenner Pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In pool, pool chairs/bench idea

I am not sure hanging a seat over the side of an above ground pool is a good idea.

There are plastic stools that you could move anywhere in the pool or outside the pool ... like the "Pool Stool" and "Sun Station"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I am not sure hanging a seat over the side of an above ground pool is a good idea.

There are plastic stools that you could move anywhere in the pool or outside the pool ... like the "Pool Stool" and "Sun Station"
    Is there a reason for that? The idea is that us tall people would like to be submerged in the water mostly to shoulder or armpit level (facing inside the pool), without having to hang our arms over the side and (facing the outside of the pool)... So if it's a "weight on the wall" thing, then would that really be an issue as most of our body would be in the water... so how would that be any different than someone just hanging on the side?
    27' Round Sharkline Venture 17K Gallon AGP
    Pentair SD80 26" Sand Filter
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5HP Dual Speed Pump
    45MPHP10 Stenner Pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, my thinking was load on the side of the pool. With your arms, the load is distributed fairly well, but with PVC you may have all the load at a couple of points depending on the design.

Worst case, you have these seats hanging and then you have kids standing on them and jumping off of them which could dent/damage the pool.

Your pool ... I would not likely want them hanging on mine if I had an AG pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Been contemplating how to do a decent in pool bench of some sort. I have a couple smaller kids that can't stand up in the pool and it would be nice for them to have something to sit or stand on. I think you are on to something here. I don't think I'd want the weight supported by the frame but what about just using the frame to keep it in place but make it go all the way to the bottom. Make the legs a U shape with no sharp edges.

What was your plan for the seat/bench area? What material? One thought was multiple PVC cross beams.

6. Back To Top    #6

One reason I like the wedding cake type of steps. My 3 and 6 year old grandkids use them as their base to sit and to swim back to.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think it's any different than using pvc to hold a solar blanket on the outside of the pool. Persons usually become weightless in water so I don't think it would kill the walls. I do know I'd make it perfectly clear to all kids that if they touch them, they lose their pool privileges for a time. Some things, kids just don't need to touch, they get everything else in our lives, an adult seat shouldn't be one of them.

I'd love to see what you come up with, if anything and how it works out for you.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

We were just talking about this this last weekend as we were lounging in the pool. I was thinking of PVC frame with some sort of canvas as a seat. You could put the material and sand on/in the frame before gluing it. I would sand the sharp edges of the couplers to further help the liner. I found this in a quick search. PVC BENCH
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread