Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I mess with my ph and ta?

1. Back To Top    #1

Trenton, NJ

Do I mess with my ph and ta?

My water looks great and I've been using methods and test kit from here. My ph used to be 7.5 and now it's been creeping up to 7.8. I see it's just at the high end of the range as is my ta. Do I need to adjust these levels or are they ok? Thanks
    FC - 7.5
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 120
    CYA - 50

Also, what caused my ph to increase?
    15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14, 1 hp -Hayward pro series sand filter (Model # S166T92STL), Hayward Vari-Flow valve (Model # SP0714T1), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump (Model # SP1592TLFP). TF100 test kit. Diver Dave automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Do I mess with my ph and ta?

Just add acid to take pH back down to 7.4 or so.

pH rises as the carbonic acid releases CO2. It's normal. People swimming can trigger that. It's exactly like shaking a bottle of Coke. You just don't see the foam explode out the neck.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Each time the pH hits 7.8, just lower it back to 7.4 ish. Over time, this will also lower the TA.

So, just don't bother with it

Go swimming
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    St. John's, Newfoundland

High TA can also allow pH to rise quicker than lower levels of TA. Not a big deal. Bring the pH down with acid as noted above. The TA will drop with it, and eventually pH will stabilize somewhat. Then you will find your pH will take longer to rise. My pool loves a TA of 70. Yours may like it a little higher or lower. Once I get my TA at 70 and my pH at 7.5, my pH doesn't budge. So when your pH rises, bring it down with acid, and the TA will come down. Repeat, and eventually you're probably gonna find the happy medium.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit