Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Please with Intex sand filter - Air in the system

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Please with Intex sand filter - Air in the system

Hi. I have a 15 Ft round intex pool with the Intex sand filter and salt water system. My problem is that I can't get the air out of the system. When the filter runs there is always some air in the leaf basket area of the pump and then a lot of times when the pump turns off a whole lot of air gets sucked into the system and the leaf basket area is almost completely filled with air. Why is the happening???? There are no leaks, everything in under water…how is air getting in? The biggest problem is that when the pump goes to start again the next day, it has a hard time getting started because there is so much air. Please help. I have no idea how to solve this problem. TIA!!!!!
    Intex 15X48 metal frame pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Please with Intex sand filter - Air in the system

Use the air relief valve on the clear top lid... unscrew it until the water squirts out and then tighten it back down. you can do this with the pump running or off.
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

3. Back To Top    #3

You mean to unscrew the top part above the leave basket until the water starts to leak out and then close it again? Is that right?
    Intex 15X48 metal frame pool

4. Back To Top    #4

If yours does not have the air relief on the top, just the large clear lid then loosening that one will only be worse. First thing to do is check that lid to make sure the 0-ring is seated correct, you may be sucking air in there. Failing that, the next time before you start the pump, turn it to "recirculate" first, that really helps prime the pump faster. Once it primed, shut it off, then switch it back to filter, and turn it back on. That will help at least until you find the air leak.

5. Back To Top    #5

Your pump may be sucking in air from a loose hose connection or misaligned gasket or pinched o-ring. I had that problem. First close the valve on the pool so water doesn't gush out when you disconnect the hose that goes from the pool into the leaf strainer on the pump, then unscrew the hose, make sure o-rings and gaskets are seated properly, and retighten.
    Jim
    Intex 15' x 42" -- 4,000 gallons
    installed August 2012
    Intex 2650 sand filter, Hayward skimmer
    TF-100 test kit, TFP method