Gas line question?

Suzka

Jun 7, 2014
Texas
I have a light that has never worked. We went to take it put and it has what looks to be copper piping. When the gas company came out for check before you dig they said they don't have a gas line in the back yard,so they are only responsible for their own. I found some green piping. Is this a diy added gas line. Do I need to have someone do something before a pool dig?

Welcome to TFP!

That looks like gas pipe to me. When you call blue stake they should mark everything, not just the lines owned by the gas company that end at the meter.

So i have a dig tomorrow for a pool. Pool designer said not to worry about it, but he is a designer not a construction
crew. Do I call someone to cap it off? i do t have gas turned on to the house at all.

Call before you dig does not deal with line on your side only theres. So if any gas lines are added by the home owner for any reason they dont mark or do anything. So, call before you dig is not so great. Imm amazed they dont care you could blow up the whole neighborhood because its not on their side. I called a gas plumber out to see about capping it off

So I just was reading on Blue Stake in AZ (same as your 811), and I did find where they only mark what they own which is up to the meter. This would explain why they did not mark my pool heater gas line when I had a wall built even though I knew it was not a conflict.

I do need to learn where that pipe is run however for future work and now you have me wondering how to get that done. Likely have to hire a surveyor or something.

I called a gas plumber. He capped it off for me today $295.00. The line ran to the back for a,light and previous owner grill. I don't plan on using either. Was told he can run again later if need be if we ever want to, but not necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.