Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Toads???

1. Back To Top    #1

Toads???

Hi we have lots and lots of toads around every where, they don't get in the pool but what I have been noticing is that they bury themselfs by the pool then next thing I notice a indent in my pool cove on the inside of the pool. I have a deck half way around pool and fence on the rest so I just spray around the pool with round up to kill everything next to pool. We do have very sandy soil also I have noticed a few moles but so far knock on wood they are staying away from pool area. Was wondering if any one has had this problem and how they solved it I was thinking maybe gravel? or pavers around outside of pool but not sure what is best way to stop this. I was going to post a pic but it says I have exceeded my quota not sure what that means.
    24ft x 52in Round AGP Heritage pool Aquamaster 19 in sand filter & 1 hp pump. Clear Solar blanket 12 Mil. TF-100 Test Kit. Pool filled June 3rd 2013 well water.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Toads???

To post pics you'll be well served to use a site like photobucket as a host.

Regarding the Toads burrowing down I'd say you need some sort of hard ground cover. River rock, gravel, or pavers. just anything they can't dig into easily.

Might also hold a BBQ featuring frog legs. They usually get the message.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Trying photobucket.
    24ft x 52in Round AGP Heritage pool Aquamaster 19 in sand filter & 1 hp pump. Clear Solar blanket 12 Mil. TF-100 Test Kit. Pool filled June 3rd 2013 well water.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Wow, Nebraska is gorgeous country.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

Very nice set-up you have there

Might also hold a BBQ featuring frog legs. They usually get the message.
    How could you!

smiles are contagious.jpg

Had a conversation this weekend w/BIL who uses a solar powered ultrasonic mole repeller. He said he was skeptical, but it works! His neighbor across the street uses the battery-powered one. It works, too. He bought his at ACE hardware, but they are for sell everywhere. My BIL says he turns his 'off' during the day and 'on' in the evening. Since he has had it for a while his moles have moved way to the end of their back yard, and he only turns it on a couple times a week - just to keep them there. We plan to get one this week. Maybe something like that would also work on the frogs.......
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I had an issue with small frogs and I read (maybe here) to try snake repellant. It seemed to work for me.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I had an issue with small frogs and I read (maybe here) to try snake repellant. It seemed to work for me.
    Is that just crushed up moth balls?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys I may try the mothballs for starters I know I have them and will looking into maybe getting aload of gravel and spread around pool. Also thanks for the info on photobucket work great.

9. Back To Top    #9

Last night I was going to put some moth balls around pool and remembered i had a cpl bundles of shingles left so i cut and layed shingles down around outside edge of pool and lightly covered with dirt or i should say sand as all i have around here. I did put some moth balls around but not sure i like the smell of them. If anyone can think of a reason the shingels would hurt something please say so. Thank you.

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I would bet almost anything you are dealing with the voles. I have moles and voles bad here. My experience with the voles is that they will dig to the cove, then turn around. The mole monsters however, will burrow under the liner. I hope I'm wrong for your sake, I will have to drain my pool and probably replace the liner.
    21' x 54" AGP Heritage 12,000 gallons.
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP15922S 2 Speed 1 HP
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24"
    My SLAM Another swamp, is it worth it? Drain or gain?

11. Back To Top    #11

I do have moles around but so far knock on wood been staying away from pool. The Toads are a differant story it's hard to explian how many toads we have around every where garage,barn,shop,yard, 100's they bury down in the sand.