Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach Percentages

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach Percentages

Can someone tell me where to find the percentage of chlorine in bleach on the bottle? I have looked on several different brands in the stores & have not found one yet!! Thanks!
    19,000 IG Pacific Blue plaster,raised spa with spillover,rock waterfall, Jandy 2.5 HP pump,Pentair sand filter,Paramount in floor cleaning system, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Aqualink remote

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach Percentages

It's normally on the label as percentage of Sodium Hypochlorite. Only a few of the very cheap brands don't list it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

yikes It should be listed in the ingredients. If they are too embarrassed to list it, it is probably embarrassingly low!

Don't buy it!

Look at Clorox or Great Value and see where they are listed on the labels. Also, expiration dates are listed - sometimes on the bottom of the jug.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Especially don't go to dollar stores. Buy it someplace like Wal-Mart that has new inventory several times/week.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Especially don't go to dollar stores. Buy it someplace like Wal-Mart that has new inventory several times/week.
    +1 ^^^ yep, they can have old weak bleach. Aldi's - if you have one, is another good place with fast turnover.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

You won't find it listed on the splashless or fragrance tainted versions. You don't want those anyway. Just straight bleach.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

7. Back To Top    #7

While shopping around, I recently found that the cheaper brands do not list % on the bottle, which is a giant no-no. The best value I've found is the Great Value 8.25% 121 oz. at Walmart. $2.98 per jug here in north Georgia. If it's not listed on the label, chances are it is weak (below 5%) and they'd be embarassed to show that they're screwing over their buyers.
    40,000 gallon in-ground pool, vinyl liner, Hayward pump, sand filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pwhite222 View Post
    While shopping around, I recently found that the cheaper brands do not list % on the bottle, which is a giant no-no. The best value I've found is the Great Value 8.25% 121 oz. at Walmart. $2.98 per jug here in north Georgia. If it's not listed on the label, chances are it is weak (below 5%) and they'd be embarassed to show that they're screwing over their buyers.
    pwhite- If you have an IGA near you, you should check them out. i can get 1 gal jugs of 5.25 for $1.63. Freds just had a sale, 1 Gal of 8.25 for $1.99 ea.
    30'x52'' AGP 21,000 Gallons
    TWM 2.64 SF Sand Filter w/ Century 1.5 HP Pump
    BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tommyd123 View Post
    pwhite- If you have an IGA near you, you should check them out. i can get 1 gal jugs of 5.25 for $1.63. Freds just had a sale, 1 Gal of 8.25 for $1.99 ea.
    Searching their website, I don't see one anywhere close enough to justify the gas. I drive a truck that somewhat guzzles gas, so that's in the equation too.
    40,000 gallon in-ground pool, vinyl liner, Hayward pump, sand filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

I buy almost all my bleach at Dollar General. The strength is listed on the bottle (8.25%) and I usually have to call and get them to order a few cases because the turnover is so great. I've used it for a few years now and it's always done great for me.

I will agree that most "dollar store" bleaches don't have the strength printed on them and you should stay away from them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Last month, when I checked Walmart, they had both GV and Clorox branded bleach. Both were a 'Concentrated' version that listed 8.25% Sodium Hydrochloride, also both bottles had a 'newer' looking packaging bottle nearby. It appeared Walmart had both old and new stock, it appeared to be the exact same bleach, however on BOTH the newer looking GV and Clorox bottles, I could not find the % of Sodium Hydrochloride listed anywhere. Nowhere did it list the ingredients.
    14,000 gallon rectangle vinyl pool. 4' depth throughout
    Hayward SP2605x7 3/4 HP pump and S-220T sand filter (23 GPM filter rate) with SP0714T multi-port valve.
    Inline chlorinator
    T104R pump timer

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all the replies! We live in north Louisiana in a very small (3,000) town so not a lot of shopping here! I have checked at Wal Mart& have not found it on any of the GV bottles! I thought I was just blind but maybe they don't list it any more.
    19,000 IG Pacific Blue plaster,raised spa with spillover,rock waterfall, Jandy 2.5 HP pump,Pentair sand filter,Paramount in floor cleaning system, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Aqualink remote

13. Back To Top    #13

https://www.dropbox.com/s/840bnofthh...2013.07.28.jpg
    I can't speak to what you found at your walmarts, But the four bottles I just bought at My walmart Saturday clearly show the percentage. It also shows the manufacture date which is 14 142, which I'm assuming is the 142nd day of 2014. Every bottle of GV I've ever bought had the % of Hypochlorite on the label.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Here is Up & Up (Target Store Brand) and Great Value, as found in Virginia Beach stores...

These 2 are Austins Pool Tech Shock(Found in Ollie's Bargain Outlet) and Essential Everyday (Farm Fresh Grocery Store Brand)

I've never come across any without percentages but I don't really look in the cheapy stores like Big Lots or Dollar stores of any sort. Usually buy from Target, Wal-Mart or Farm Fresh (where strangely it is the cheapest at $2.69 121oz while all their groceries are grossly overpriced!)
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

15. Back To Top    #15

in ground gunite/plaster 16x30..3-6-3 play pool, sand filter, 1 hp pump..single speed... built in 77 replastered in 05
    15300 gallons. chlorine tabs no longer...tf-100 test kit