Pool is up and 1st TF-100 is complete, now what? goal-swimming on 4th of July!

Jun 5, 2014
Brentwood, Ca (Nor-Cal)
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was hoping to get chemicals tonight but I had a drip I needed to get great white sealant for and finish topping my Intex 16x48 off! Finally got it topped off and 1st test results in! Just regular Intex 635T pump with hayward skimmer added.

Figured I'd come to the masters for my 1st round to get it balanced. I know we have a calculator but id like to get the basic pro advice and I'll be at work tomorrow and hoping to get chemicals on way home and be swimming on the 4th of July. I know I can add bleach and shock or acid....learning the ropes so bare with me. Do tablets in floater work best once levels are reached?

Figured I'd post my results, water from hose only and no chems-

FC -2 (4 drops)

CC- 0.5

Total Chlorine- 2.5

CH- It turned blue right after adding the R-0010 (maybe due to water softener?)

TA- 90 (9 drops it took)

CYA- 0 (filled the whole tube and can still see the black dot, no chem in pool!)

I was cautious with my first test but wasnt too bad, when I opened the kit I was like o **** what did i get myself into lol!:confused:

:cool:

So I'm picking up a Jug or 2 of 8.25% oz concentrated reg bleach.

Tfp method shows 15 Oz of bleach to add.

As far as CYA stabilizer is liquid or powder better? Looking a HTH stabilizer from wally, recommended in sock or knee high nylon tied to pool edge by return.

Do I need to add the 12oz of baking soda to bring my TA up?

Should I walk around pool as dumping from measuring cup?

So I'm picking up a Jug or 2 of 8.25% oz concentrated reg bleach.

Tfp method shows 15 Oz of bleach to add.

As far as CA stabilizer is liquid or powder better? Any good ones at Walmart?

Do I need to add the 12oz of baking soda to bring my TA up?

Should I walk around pool as dumping from measuring cup?
Granular CYA is cheaper than liquid. Walmart sells HTH stabilizer at a good price. You don't need to raise TA. How to add each chemical is spelled out in this Pool School article.

What's your pH? :)

The pH test is in the blue box in the kit. The color block thing. You don't need to do the chlorine test with it (yellow color match) since you have the FAS-DPD test but that's the only pH test in the kit and I didn't see you post results from that one. :)

Welcome! :D

I just thought about that this am, will do tonight and post results. What do I use to increase PH from Walmart ? Might as well stock up!
How do you know it needs raising? :scratch:

The recommended pool chemicals and how to add them are in this article.

attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the knowledgeable link, I just read up. So nice not relying on Leslie's! Never been so excited to go to wally world after work haha!

One last question, how do you all measure the amounts? Prob make a "pool measuring kit" with my chems. Bleach I can use a measuring cup, how bout liquid or powder stabilizer?

Sorry I'm a rookie!

Sure, we recommend you use plastic measuring stuff. The PoolMath calculator will tell you how much to add by volume and by weight.

A link to PoolMath is in the menu bar at the top of each page.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yea I did the calculations so I have my bleach and stabilizer amounts noted for when I get home. I'll add measuring utensils to my list too!

After adding tonight, do I want to run filter and recheck tonight or tomorrow?

Have the filter running when adding chemicals. You can retest FC 30 minutes after adding.

Add the CYA via sock method and don't test for a week.

After CYA is dissolved from sock, assume it is in the water and adjust FC levels accordingly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.