Did I get screwed at the pool store?

I buy my chlorine and acid at Home Depot.

I buy my conditioner at Leslies. I pay too much for it. But the fact that I have them test my water for me for free, I respect the fact that they have bills to pay too.

Really. $30 a year to a company that tests for you and asks nothing in return except that you spend a few bucks in their store?

But that's just me. I don't mean to offend anyone.
I would agree with you if the testing was accurate. I have proven (at least to myself) by taking the same water sample to multiple stores and getting vastly different results from each.

So here is the test, three samples of water, all taken at the same time. I tested one at home and took a sample to each store. The only difference was drive time for the tests.

My Results:
FC 10
pH 7.5
TA 75
CH 210
CYA 100

Store #1 Results (BioGuard automated testing)
FC 10.3
pH 8.0
TA 160
CH 173
CYA 104

Recomendation - Acid to reduce pH

Store #2 Results (hand tested with Taylor chemicals)
FC 5.0
pH 7.6
TA 125
CH 350
CYA 90

Recomendation: None

I was amazed also. I find the range of CYA between 90 - 104 fairly acceptable. The last time I did the multiple store test (when my CYA was 200+) the place with the 90 reading had me at 90 then. That must be their "too high" reading. The place showing 104 had me at 130 last time. I don't find it acceptable when it is 200+ and they are giving me low readings.

Store # 1, again a BioGuard store says CYA is "acceptable" 30 - 200ppm, says chlorine should be 2 - 4

Store # 2, again a ProTeam Pool Products store says CYA is "acceptable" 30 - 100ppm, says chlorine should be 1 - 3

So, chlorine 3ppm with 100 CYA - What am I going to have?

But, both wished me a good day, didn't try to sell me anything and told me to keep doing what I'm doing.

They do have to keep the lights on, and I can agree that with their "seasonal" business there needs to be a slightly higher mark up. I can live with that. But I don't want to get robbed every time I go in the door. I recently needed a replacement pool light bulb. On line $14.99. Pool store $39.99. I was ready to pay $5 or even $10 more for the convenience. When I questioned it all I got was a shrug of the shoulders and take it or leave it. And, that was from the manager - not some kid they hired for the summer.

If it already hasn't started, I'm sure there is soon to be a shift in the pool store model. The younger folks (and some of us old folks) are quick to jump on Google for second opinions. The pool store has to change and adapt.

Please put the following information in your signature.

I just added my location and i have my signature filled in about half way through the thread but i can't get it to show. I looked at all the settings and can't seem to find what i'm doing wrong.

skeeter

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... that's just a cruel joke now it's showing up. I guess it doesn't add it to the old post i had to make a new one for it to show.

skeeter

- - - Updated - - -

Got my new bottle a CYA testing reagent so i should be able to check it tonight.

skeeter

Post some results Skeeter and go from there. If your CYA is indeed that low you will need to get some stabilizer. Figure it out on the Pool Calculator and add what it says. The sock method is preferred. Remember your CYA doesn't show up right away after you put it in. It could take up to two weeks. For calculation purposes on your FC, use the CYA figure goal you put in the calculator.
On second thought,I'd be hesitant to add too much. Not sure if that liquid CYA you added still might show up. Being that you live in CA, you can get away with a higher CYA , perhaps shoot for 30 now and wait to see if it goes any higher.

Maybe someone else can make a suggestion. I'd get some stabilizer in, adjust the PH,take the pool to SLAM level, perform the OCLT and see what happens.

Skeeter, you mentioned a slight algae build up has started. Algae will consume chlorine quickly. Anytime you have visible algae you need to slam the pool. The fact that it is in the early stages means it will go quickly.

You linked to Natural Chemistry's Instant Pool Conditioner. It does contain CYA. Did you put in both jugs at once? Did the CYA test get slightly cloudy even if you could still see the dot?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.