Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new to the sand filter world

1. Back To Top    #1

new to the sand filter world

I hooked up a new sand filter and pump today. After dealing with a cartridge filter that was to small for to long. I vacuumed the pool and the pressure went from 12 psi to about 18-20 psi. I have read that you back wash after I think its 20% rise. Could 1 vacuum job do this? ( The pool was dirty) And should I expect after I vacuum to back wash. (is this normal?) The pump and filter are a Hayward 1hp and 18 inch sand filter. The reason I noticed a problem. My fountain was not going very high in the air. After I back washed it returned to normal/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new to the sand filter world

Csk158,

What size pool do you have?
    We recommend a backwash after a 25% rise in pressure.
    Also, the smaller the sand filter, the more frequently it has to be backwashed.

Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

3. Back To Top    #3

just under 17,000 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds normal to me. I've been using a sand filter for a few years now. Clean pressure is about 17psi and at about 23psi. I need to back flush. it's not uncommon for me to need to back flush after vacuuming, sometimes during depending on how dirty the pool is.
    17,500 gallon 16x32 doughboy Aboveground
    West Michigan

5. Back To Top    #5

Increase in pressure is normally a good thing! It tells me the filter is doing its job! Backwash it and tell it to get back to work.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit