Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool, a few questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, Tx

New pool, a few questions

I just out in an above ground pool from the kids. I bought a tester because I've read that going to Leslie's Pools for advice. I did the test and my ph and total alkalinity are both high. My water is kinda cloudy, from this I guess. Applying muratic acid is what I've read I need to do. Is this correct? I was also told to shock the pool once a week... But that seems a bit much. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

Re: New pool, a few questions

Read pool school. It is better to keep a consistant amount of chlorine on a daily basis than to dump in a large amount once a week. What type of test did you use?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: New pool, a few questions

How are you chlorinating? If starting out with trichlor or dichlor then they are both acidic and will cause the pH to drop, the same goes for a start up dose of CYA stabilizer.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~