Hello,

I did a TF-100 test and my values are as follows:
    pH = 7.8
    FC= 11 ppm
    CC= 0 ppm
    TA= 160
    CH= 480
    CYA = 90

The test kit indicates that CYA shld be between 30-80. How shld I get my CYA down? Please let me know. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sincerely,
    Aruna
    26,000 gallons; cartridge filter; IG plaster; 1hp pump that runs at 95% in the morning and lower in the evening

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help CYA is high

You can get your CYA down one way and that is with water replacement.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I see a partial drain and refill in your very near future. Water replacement or reverse osmosis are the only methods to lower your CYA.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much for following up. How will I know how much of a drain to do--1/3?1/2? how much wld it cost?
    Also, I live in southern California where temperatures right now are soaring, we also have a pool cover.
    The water is pretty hot with the pool heater so we have turned the heater off. Does the heat have any role with the hight CYA levels.

I should also report I don't have any algae in the pool. We brush the pool couple of times and use it almost everyday.

Also for future should I move to liquid chlorine instead of the pucks
    Thanks in advance for your insights.

Aruna
    26,000 gallons; cartridge filter; IG plaster; 1hp pump that runs at 95% in the morning and lower in the evening

5. Back To Top    #5

You're in one of two areas in the US where reverse osmosis is available. So spend the money on that, or drain and replace some.

Is your pool clear or green? If clear, you can maintain it with that high CYA and slowly lower the CYA by draining a few inches a week and using it one the lawn. If green, grit your teeth and replace a whole bunch right now. R/O won't work until the green is gone, and the cost of the bleach you'll need will be more than the cost of the water. Call your water company - sometimes they drop the tiered rates for a pool fillup.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you. My pool is clear, so I am thinking of going with reverse osmosis. Thanks again for the feedback.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by aru_25 View Post

Also for future should I move to liquid chlorine instead of the pucks

Aruna
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump