Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool green...started slam....but?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool green...started slam....but?

Pool had algae, been slamming for 2 days now. At 9am the FC was 3.75 an CC was 0.5...added bleach back to shock level. At 6pm FC was 3.8 and CC was 0.15....pool is milky colored now instead of green...I keep raising chlorine to shock level until when? I have read the slamming your pool section. Just confused now.
    Thanks, Kim
    BBB method
    16X48 Intex
    Ultra frame
    Factory Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool green...started slam....but?

Maintain it at your shock level until you: 1.lose less than 1ppm or less of FC over night 2. Have less than 1ppm of CC and 3. Water is clear All 3 must be met before you are done slamming. Hope this helps. If it is turning white, it is killing the algae, don't stop the coarse. It will happen, might take a few days, it might take a week or more, but it will happen! The more often you can bring it to shock level the faster it will clear.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

What factor are you using to multiply the drop test? Your numbers make no sense. Which test kit are you using, and what is the CYA level?

How long it takes varies tremendously. If there's a lot of rotting leaves in the bottom or the pool water is so green and chunky you could almost walk on it, figure two weeks from swamp to clear, roughly. Most people can get from green to blue in a couple days. Getting it to clear takes an agonizingly long time. And it can take a lot of bleach. Hopefully not as much as this:

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

So when I add the bleach to shock level...then test again before dark? Then in the morning to see if I have lost 1 ppm or less? I have been adding exactly 11 cups of bleach every 4hours except at night since 5 pm yesterday...is this normal?
    Thanks, Kim
    BBB method
    16X48 Intex
    Ultra frame
    Factory Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kim1965 View Post
    So when I add the bleach to shock level...then test again before dark? Then in the morning to see if I have lost 1 ppm or less? I have been adding exactly 11 cups of bleach every 4hours except at night since 5 pm yesterday...is this normal?
    Why do you add 11 cups of bleach? Is that what poolmath calculated to get you to shock level for your CYA? Is 11 cups enough? Is it too much?

Again: What factor are you using to multiply the drop test? Which test kit are you using, and what is the CYA level?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I am using the FAS-DPD test kit I ordered from the link here. I am multiplying by .05?

- - - Updated - - -

CYA level is 40..sorry
    Thanks, Kim
    BBB method
    16X48 Intex
    Ultra frame
    Factory Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Like Richard said, it depends on your CYA level as to what your shock value is. What test kit are you using? Having the right kit will make the process a lot easier. If you are using the right shock number for your cya, then just add what the pool math tells you to. If you could test and add every hour until bedtime, that would be great, the harder you hit it, the faster the process.

- - - Updated - - -

ok, good choice, Did you put all your info into the pool math?
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kim1965 View Post
    I am using the FAS-DPD test kit I ordered from the link here. I am multiplying by .05?
    You must have one of the old ones with the typo. If you are using a 10 ml sample, you multiply drops by .5 That will seriously affect poolmath.

If you were at 37.5, that's shock level for 95 CYA. If your CYA level isn't that high, you could bleach your liner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes...pool math calculated every time

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered it last year towards the end of season... and the example showed...a typo??? okay thanks...now just refigure and start again?
    Thanks, Kim
    BBB method
    16X48 Intex
    Ultra frame
    Factory Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok , you numbers are off a bit, say you use 12 drops to clear your sample, then your FC is 6. Basically just take the number you got and divide it by 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Richard is a way faster typer and better explainer than I am...lol
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

11. Back To Top    #11

What do I do now?

- - - Updated - - -

okay so it took 76 drops to turn the 10ml clear....so my chlorine level is 38! should kill the algae...if it doesn't ruin the pool....lol.
    Thanks, Kim
    BBB method
    16X48 Intex
    Ultra frame
    Factory Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

oh my, yeah, let that drift down a bit... I think your done for tonight...lol...start back up tomorrow IF it goes down below your shock level. Don't worry, I made that same mistake before, got carried away...my liner faded just a touch, not a whole lot.
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

13. Back To Top    #13

the test directions gave an example of multiplying by .05 instead of .5....and I was following every instruction carefully....its all good though
    Thanks, Kim
    BBB method
    16X48 Intex
    Ultra frame
    Factory Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

This morning at 7am FC was 27 and at 11am FC was 26....the pool is clear and CC is .5. Is it safe to think the algae is gone now?
    Thanks, Kim
    BBB method
    16X48 Intex
    Ultra frame
    Factory Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

If I read correctly, you lost 11 ppm overnight (from 38 to 27)? Did I read that right? If so, no you are not finished SLAMing.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

You can really only tell your OCLT by taking the sample at night and testing first thing in the morning....if you were at 38 last night, then at 27 this morning, you lost 11 ppms, so it is still killing stuff. The good news is it seems to be holding much better, but you still need to keep slamming. Fist you need to wait for the chlorine to drop back below 16 (that is your slam level), then keep adding and dosing from there.
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

17. Back To Top    #17

okay. Thank You!
    Thanks, Kim
    BBB method
    16X48 Intex
    Ultra frame
    Factory Pump