Extending Black Poly supply & returns

Jun 29, 2014
Pittsburgh,Pa
I am building a new pool house and need to extend my black poly supply and return lines to a different location.There is an outside chance that it will be possible to replace the entire line during excavation, however I am not counting on it. If it becomes necessary to extend using fittings, the joint will be under a new concrete patio. I realize that I should avoid this but it may not be possible. What would be the best technique in terms of fittings/adhesives etc? Also, should I stay with black poly or transition to pvc?

Signature:16' x 36' In-ground. Vinyl Liner. 24,000 Gallons. Hayward 3/4 HP self priming pump. Hayward EC 75 Perflex filter.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. :wave: I would avoid that regardless of the cost. Black poly fittings leak......they are the most troublesome fittings we see reported on the forum. Burying these connections is asking for a problem. Of course that has to be your call.

Thanks for your response. I have a bad feeling about burying a fitting as well. I have confidence that I can access the outflow fitting at the pool. But my excavation will only get me within 8' of the skimmer due to the 4' concrete skirt at the pool perimeter. Are there any magical tricks that allow you to tie in at the skimmer without access underneath. Also, If I am able to replace these lines what material do you suggest using...Schedule 40 PVC or stay with black poly. Im sure this question has been answered 1000 times already but Im new to the forum...

Welcome to TFP!

If you are going to be pouring new concrete, consider taking up enough of the existing near the skimmer to give you access to it and replace all the lines you can with PVC. As Dave said, black poly is asking for problems, and any transition to PVC from that compounds the issue.

The cost of an extra yard or three of concrete will essentially pay for itself in less problems down the road with buried plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.