Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What CH level will cause cloudiness?

1. Back To Top    #1

What CH level will cause cloudiness?

water not as clear as it normally is.

FC 4 this morning. added 60 oz to bring to 6 which is target.
    CC 0
    TA 70
    pH 7.4

just to make sure, even though my FC has never dropped below 3 ppm and my pool consumes 2-3 ppm per day depending on bather load, im going to do the OCLT tonight and make sure its not an organic issue. i doubt it though.

I havent done a CH test in awhile, but it was 150ppm last time. im going to do it in the morning. CH is the one test I only run once a month since i have a vinyl pool and the level is always relatively low.

at what level does calcium cloudiness occur?

i may just be nit-picking my pool too....
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What CH level will cause cloudiness?

I know that my last year my pool was clear enough to see that the screws on the main drain cover were Philips head through eight feet of water even though the CH was over 1000.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

okay. well, i SERIOUSLY doubt that my CH is that high. my pool is not that clear. it is in some areas, but not others like the deep middle. dang, I may have dropped the ball somewhere. I have been distracted here lately doing the concrete decking and all, trying to get this pool done. Ill know tomorrow morning when I complete OCLT. if it is over 1 ppm Ill SLAM the ever loving heck out of it.

i have had to vac it alot lately due to dirt getting in pool. (construction) wonder if its stirred up dirt causing cloudiness. it should settle though.... unless barracuda vac is stirring it up instead of suctioning it out...
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

It's the combination of pH, TA and CH that over-saturate the water with calcium carbonate and can cause cloudiness though usually scale or cloudiness aren't seen until the CSI is +0.7 or more, but under some conditions (mostly in hot tubs) one might see issues at +0.3. This isn't your situation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"