A Small Pool is a Good Pool.....The Woodlands, TX

Needsdecaf

Jun 28, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
Hi there, this will be a fun first post. Been lurking on the site for about 6 months at the recommendation of a friend, and it was very helpful in deciding some items like equipment, materials, etc. Below is the post of the majority of our pool build. It's done and filled, and the landscaping is about a week out. So sorry, no long drawn out post.

So, a bit of background. We relocated to The Woodlands, TX, (a suburb about 30 miles North of Downtown Houston) in late 2012. When we bought our home, we were in the middle of a corporate relo so we bought a builder inventory home that was close to completion. We loved the selections and the floorplan but the lot. Well, it's a decent sized lot for the area, but the house has a HUGE footprint and chews up a ton of the lot.

We knew that with kids, and being in South Texas, we would want a pool. We had the builder's pool company sketch us a possibility or two before we bought the home so we knew it would work. A little over a year later, we decided that we wanted to get serious. I had researched pool companies and knew that I didn't want the PB to dictate design. Most of the pools around here are free form, and with such a small yard, I wanted something that was more urban, modern, and just "fit" the space, rather than being jammed in there. Remember, we don't have much room. Literally 20' off our back patio is our property line. Worse than that, The Woodlands dictates a 10' rear covenant easement to keep drainage moving, and rarely lets you build in it.

So we hired a landscape architect that specializes in urban and commercial type projects (I had a work affiliation). I knew they would deliver a good design. After some considerable back and forth, this was what we had as a starting point for bidding:

Tight20Pool20Lot_zps0827e225.jpg

I should mention some of the other issues we faced:

• Drainage issue where all the water would go to the left rear of the lot and sit.
  • A two-story column that needed to be removed in order to open up the rear deck.
  • Did I mention that the whole pool could be no more than 10' wide, including whatever offset that the pool builder was comfortable with off our patio?

So with that, a bidding we went!

We looked at about 6 PB's and got bids from 3. One pool builder would not do salt, and his design was essentially a rectangle. Very plan. Second builder was about the same price, would do either salt or chlorine, and had a perfect plan. The third builder was $10k more (with some pretty snazzy pentair equipment) and would have been even higher when we added in the extras we wanted. Plus, in order to install a SWG, we had to sign our life away. We asked him to provide a price on the extras we wanted....and we never heard back. Eh?

So we went with guy #2. Checked out well, done pools in the neighborhood, spoke to current owners, full insurance, etc. Signed the contract and away we went. Specs we ended up with. yeah, they're probably overkill, but I'm an overkill kind of guy:

Inground gunnite geometric pool
Approx 8,000 gallons.
Triple weir water feature
30' x (6.5' at one end and 8.5' at the other)x 3.5-6.5' deep
Hayward Swim Clear 425 Cartridge
Hayward TCell SWG
Hayward TriStar VS Filter Pump
Hayward Super II Water Feature Pump
Polaris 280 Cleaner with Booster Pump
Hayward Color Logic 4.0 LED lights (2)
Hayward Pro Logic 4 Automation
Hayward Aqua Pod remote control
Wet Edge Satin Matrix - Antigua

While we were waiting on the permits, I had the column removed. This involved installing a double 16" LVL with approximately an 18' span to carry the roof load.

The column to be removed:

IMG_3918_zps0465d3cc.jpg

Double LVL:

IMG_3924_zps8bf1ccaf.jpg

IMG_3934_zpsba581514.jpg

Column gone:

IMG_4015_zpsa8cbe689.jpg

Pool staked for inspection:

IMG_4016_zpse4a3df6e.jpg

IMG_4017_zpsd499cf9b.jpg

IMG_4018_zps3a8f9dd9.jpg

Digging: Unmarked power line!

IMG_4023_zps929fbf65.jpg

This is our house service line. We are lucky we didn't kill the meter pan, or start a fire as it arced when the line was cut. Yikes! Our electrician re-built the meter pan, and ran a new service line and we had our meter back on that night. Good to know people....

IMG_4024_zps7faad73e.jpg

Digging Done.

IMG_4027_zps29d1133c.jpg

IMG_4029_zps2ab7638f.jpg

IMG_4031_zpse16563a9.jpg

IMG_4033_zps512d92ce.jpg

IMG_4035_zpsc36f1d45.jpg

Rebar!

IMG_4043_zps7b479eb4.jpg

IMG_4045_zps7007c3a1.jpg

IMG_4047_zpsc073b7ef.jpg

I was getting worried they were going to gunnite with the conduit still there!

IMG_4048_zps8b6c580d.jpg

IMG_4049_zpsc90d5bfa.jpg

Will be continued on next post....

Continued....

It was about here that things came off the rails a bit. First, the project foreman told me..."hey, tomorrow we are doing your gunnite" to which I replied, "by the way, at what point are you going to tell me where to go to pick travertine, tile, and stone?". He was flabbergasted that I didn't already have it picked out! So he gave us the location of the yards....at which point I had a major GI issue causing me to go to the ER. Then it was Easter, then we went and couldn't decide on a stone so we ordered samples, etc. Essentially, the gunnite got a good long chance to cure as it sat for about 5 weeks!

Finally, we decided on a stone, and a tile, they ordered everything and got back on track.

Gunnite (sorry for lack of pics, this was when I was in the ER and laid up for a few days).

IMG_4064_zpsd9b243b2.jpg

IMG_4065_zps602709b7.jpg

IMG_4066_zpsf707b430.jpg

IMG_4067_zps0a0d2920.jpg

Travertine choices:

IMG_4137_zps4b38af5f.jpg

Tile:

IMG_4289_zps028a09db.jpg

Stone:

IMG_4293_zps1eae02f8.jpg

Together:

IMG_4297_zps04f26c97.jpg

Waterline tile up. Stone going on!:

IMG_4366_zps8816e404.jpg

IMG_4368_zps837f0232.jpg

IMG_4374_zpsbca83930.jpg

Plumbing done, and equipment set:

IMG_4376_zps6d5e16d4.jpg

IMG_4378_zpsc817d1ce.jpg

Travertine coping starting:

IMG_4396_zps08a53e27.jpg

IMG_4399_zps595c93a4.jpg

IMG_4421_zps5723f962.jpg

IMG_4423_zps28e22f84.jpg

Travertine decking started. Note how the original deck has been expanded.

IMG_4430_zps5e454a43.jpg

IMG_4431_zpsad1275fe.jpg

IMG_4432_zpsa200a809.jpg

IMG_4433_zpsf803f8e4.jpg

IMG_4436_zpsb6d8d5db.jpg

IMG_4442_zps4ab939e3.jpg

IMG_4443_zps35644add.jpg

IMG_4447_zpsb97bb636.jpg

IMG_4449_zps1255be39.jpg

And done!

IMG_4462_zps3b72e903.jpg

IMG_4463_zps281aa654.jpg

IMG_4465_zpseacbf7fa.jpg

IMG_4468_zpsed7c0e6c.jpg

IMG_4469_zps3f6b9225.jpg

Wet Edge Satin Matrix Antigua installation:

IMG_4481_zps9387917d.jpg

IMG_4482_zps325dbf79.jpg

IMG_4483_zps6f7a3c25.jpg

Starting to fill!

IMG_4497_zps14480879.jpg

Full and shocked, pumping for several days.

IMG_4505_zps35ab6c3a.jpg

IMG_4507_zps38983930.jpg

IMG_4509_zpscd8a19da.jpg

Nighttime shots:

IMG_0331_zps51452c51.jpg

IMG_0332_zps572bd8d3.jpg

So now, the landscaping is going in! I will update as that is completed over the next week. Right now we're running on chlorine, and I'm a bit worried about what I'm doing using tablets. The PB gave me the most rudimentary kit (FC and pH only) and I have ordered a lamotte colorq pro 7 digital test kit. It will be here Tuesday. We can't turn on the SWG as the Wet Edge warranty prohibits that for 28 days. Fortunately that's only a little over a week away. Yay!

Some issues we have had:

The weirs for the water feature weren't really well sealed, and water leaks out behind the travertine spillway, causing water to leak out of the face of the stone wall. They've sealed them once, and two worked, but the third still leaks.

I was not happy with the Wet Edge installation. I thought it was very crenellated and uneven. I was told "they are all like that" and truth be told, you don't see it with the pool full. You do feel it with your feet, but only really because I know what I'm looking for. Also, there are some streaks of the polymer remaining that show up as bright blue with no aggregate showing. They are coming back to supposedly fix this. I'm still holding a good bit of $$ on them.

The lights were centered on the main body of the pool, not the extended part to the left with the steps. So that part of the pool is a bit dark at night. I'm going to try to shim the one light to the left a bit to gain some additional coverage.

Other than that, can't wait to be running on salt!

I've read pool school, the ABC's, etc., and am really waiting on the test kit to get things really rolling.

Welcome to TFP. What a compact pool! It's very nice!

You should add an FAS/DPD test to that kit you ordered so if and when you need to read a higher FC level, you can. This FAS/DPD can read up to 50ppm FC. You can order it at tftestkits.net. The link is in my signature. :goodjob:

As far as CYA, I would watch it since you're using pucks. You don't want to get over 70ppm since you're going to be running a SWG in about a week or so. I would encourage you to keep reading pool school and the links provided as you have time.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, what happened to part 1?

Can you see it now? That may have been my fault as I was approving your messages, I thought the first one was already approved. :hammer:

Welcome to TFP. What a compact pool! It's very nice!

You should add an FAS/DPD test to that kit you ordered so if and when you need to read a higher FC level, you can. This FAS/DPD can read up to 50ppm FC. You can order it at tftestkits.net. The link is in my signature. :goodjob:

As far as CYA, I would watch it since you're using pucks. You don't want to get over 70ppm since you're going to be running a SWG in about a week or so. I would encourage you to keep reading pool school and the links provided as you have time.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you see it now? That may have been my fault as I was approving your messages, I thought the first one was already approved. :hammer:

Yup, it's back. Phew!

We like to make you sweat when you see long post like those disappear, thinkin you have to do them over... now you can go cool off in that awesome pool of yours! :mrgreen:

I'm just kiddin.... It was my fault.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They did a great job and I love the travertine

Thanks. It was a bit of a splurge, but with so little SF it didn't bust the budget. We figured that in such a compact space, we needed to go with premium materials or it would look cheap.

The stone on the wall is a real dry stacked stone. We had looked at many samples of Coronado stone but up close! it all looked very cheap. Plus none of the colors really worked.

Love your small pool. We have a SPOOL aka Social Pool and everyone who comes here wish they had a smaller pool too. You will love it as it is very easy to upkeep. Look at the links in the signature bar.:cheers::cheers:

Hi Needsdecf, I think that we should have our special little forum on having a small pool or form a small pool club! Congratulations on your new pool, and love the lay out. Very nice and modern!

Thanks! I wish that I had been able to get closer to the house or closer to the rear property line as you had. The irony is that the rear easement is to control drainage...and you do not need that much space. There is also a utility easement that's 3' shorter, so I would have 7' of space for drainage, which is more than enough. But in the end, we decided not to try for a variance as everyone I spoke to said you'll never get one, and I didn't want to wait months to be told no, and then have no pool. In the end, a mistake? I don't know. Once the landscaping is in I probably won't notice the extra space back there.

Your pool is awesome...and very ambitious! I didn't read your whole build but skimmed through and caught up to where you are now and it looks great!

So the landscaping is done. Love, love, love it! Man, it was a lot of stuff. Especially since we included the front yard. But in the end, totally thrilled with the result!

So just need some fine tuning on some of the pool issues (the water feature and potentially some of the Wet Edge) but otherwise we're done.

DSC_0561_zps17cda2be.jpg

DSC_0547_zps69c23d6b.jpg

DSC_0550_zpse1697491.jpg

DSC_0549_zpsb050a49d.jpg

DSC_0553_zpsd2430de9.jpg

DSC_0555_zps5db86bee.jpg

DSC_0579_zps98ab4d9d.jpg

DSC_0562_zps2afa07f6.jpg

DSC_0563_zps0cd04e8b.jpg

DSC_0575_zpscedf5d26.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.