CYA in SWG

boston62

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Pool Size
does rain water reduce your CYA in your pool? I can't seem to get this below 100 ppm, use to be until I was told to add stabilizer by a store before I had my Taylor 2006 kit, and now it's over 100 ppm...I think I will drop the water by 6" everyday, and add water until it's down...Thanks for any help...

Have you done a dilution test to get an estimate of what your cya really is? 6" is how many gallons in your pool? You will want to do as few drains and refills as possible without hurting your pool to cut down the amount of water it will take to get you to the number you're targeting.

Have you done a dilution test to get an estimate of what your cya really is? 6" is how many gallons in your pool? You will want to do as few drains and refills as possible without hurting your pool to cut down the amount of water it will take to get you to the number you're targeting.

the pool is 13000 gal, I tested it this morning and it is now at 80....when is the best time to test, morning or late afternoon, with pump running or not...

I tested it with the pump shut off, and in the late afternoon it was 80 which is what I am after, but that morning it was over 100...unless I was reading it wrong, I read it in the house, then after that outside with more light, that's when it was 80...

Thanks for the tip on draining...

You would want to add water, run the pump to mix the "new" water in and then test your CYA. Likely give it an hour to circulate just to be sure.

I think pumping water out doesn't lower your CYA, adding water does...I that's what you meant.

It's kind of like splitting hairs but yes pumping water out doesn't lower or even change the CYA level a bit.
BUT most people have to pump water out to make room for the CYA "clean" water you will be adding to dilute the highly CYA dosed water left in the pool so it's easier to talk about the water needing to be dumped.

So, , , pumping water out doesn't lower CYA it just makes room for the water you need to add to dilute what's left and have water that's at a reasonable CYA level.

I understand, here in Florida it seems we keep taking water out due to rain, haven't had to lower or raise the cya yet, but I watch it. I test FC & PH everyday, then everything once a week until I get to know my pool. Pickup a bad habit at first, going to the pool store.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually, draining excess water does remove some cya to the extent that the rain water dilutes whatever cya is already there at least a small amount. But, you're right that the best way to reduce cya is to replace water that you've drained. On the other hand evaporating water actually increases cya ppm until you dilute it to the water level it was originally prior to evaporation.

When I was using trichlor pucks for chlorine. It would take the better part of a week to dissolve them. Too slow to add enough cya to combat the suns effect of burning off chlorine. I'd put 5 pucks in a floater to keep my FC up when I went on a weeks vacation. I also used some leftover puckks when I overshot lowering to 50 ppm it took almost a week to get it back to where I wanted it.

Last time I tried to raise my CYA from 50 which the pool store told me to add stabilizer, it went right off scale...then took over a week to get it down...

Right now its at 80 which is fine,

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ahhhhhh, but you were depending on the pool stores telling you your cya was 50 right? Leslies was telling me mine was 40 for months until I got my own test kit and found it to be over 350. 5 8000 gal drains and refills later my cya was only 25 and that's when it took a week of pucks in my skimmers to get it back up to the 50 I wanted it to be.

How old is your pinch a penny bleach??? I've been to several dollar stores to check them out. Most everywhere I've gone had bleach that was 5 to 6 months old or more. When I need bleach, I go to Wally world. That's also where I get my cya. < $20 for a 6.5 lb bottle of my Salt Pool 100% cya Stabilizer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.