Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main drain help

1. Back To Top    #1

Main drain help

Hi,
    I am having trouble keeping dirt out of the bottom of my inground pool - no matter how much I vacuum, or run the Polaris dirt keeps collecting around the main drain of the pool. Is it broken or clogged and not being able to suck the dirt - is that even it's function? what else could be the cause?

TIA for your help!

Kathryn
    27,000 IG, vinyl, DE Hayward multiport, variable speed pump, copper ionized pool
    Test results:
    FC - 0
    CC -0
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 80
    CH - 120

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main drain help

Welcome to TFP!!!

What is your CYA? How did you get these test results?

Since you FC is 0, you could be seeing dead algae accumulating on the floor every time you add some chlorine. How does the water look?

Also, realize that we do not recommend the use of copper systems as they can lead to ugly stains and green hair ... by maintaining adequate FC that is a function of CYA, there is no need to the copper to help prevent algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I got my test results by bringing a sample of my water to the pool supply store. The CYA says N/A on the sheet.
    The water is actually very clear. We have the copper ionization system because the pool was already here when we bought the house 2 years ago and we just kept it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well we do not trust pool store testing either. You need to know the CYA level in order to know what FC level is required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

How do I test for CYA level?
    I have been pretty happy with the copper/salt ionization system, no staining in the pool or green hair here! Apparently the previous owners daughter had bad allergies and asthma so they went with this system.

6. Back To Top    #6

You order one of the recommended test kits.

You need to maintain the same FC levels with or without the copper to have protection from bacteria. Search the forum for more info about copper systems. There are other threads today even. So if you have to have the same FC, then why have the risk of copper?
    Jason, TFP Moderator