Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Problems

What's up everyone!

So here is the deal, I shut off the Sand Filter at night and turn it back on in the morning. Upon. Startup, I notice the return lines are spraying out a bit cloudy water for awhile, taking my previously sparkling water from the SLAM to slightly cloudy.

If I leave the pump on 24/7 the pool stays clear. But when I try and save the planet and conserve energy by shutting the pump down at night I get a slightly cloudy pool!

So what's the dealey O?
    Using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter Problems

Need way more info....you know the drill, can you post your test results
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

When was the last time you Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

This is the first season with the filter, haven't had to deep clean, just BW.

Water chemistry is irrelevant for why my filter is dispersing dirty water after being off all night.
    Using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, either there is a problem in the filter (laterals cracked, separated or too little or channeled sand) or in the backwash valve (leaking seal) or you pump is too big for your filter (you have not posted any pool info).

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a ball valve after my pump outlet, could I close that, say 60% and slowly open it, and that could help?

20x40 IG Vinyl, Hayward Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Pentair Pump, Southwest Part of MI
    Using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #7

Still no idea of the pump model/size or the filter model/size
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah sorry, here ya go...

20x40 IG Vinyl 35k gal, Hayward 24" Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Jandy 1.5hp Pump, Southwest Part of MI
    Using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9

uploadfromtaptalk1404156860865.jpg

20x40 IG Vinyl 35k gal, Hayward 24" Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Jandy 1.5hp Pump, Southwest Part of MI
    Using Tapatalk

10. Back To Top    #10

One thing I am worried about is that when I built it, I used 1.5" PVC, if I had to do over I would change to 2", but no going back on that now :/

Using Tapatalk

11. Back To Top    #11

I would not think that your pump would be too big for that filter. The smaller pipe is adding head loss which is lowering the flow rate ... so that would not be a contributing factor either.

Did you use normal pool sand?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm not sure what the Sand was exactly, bought it from the pool store. I do remember thinking that it looked a little coarse

Using Tapatalk