Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

No Chlorine

Folks,
    Having read some links here, I know I need to go away and do some further testing before bugging you too much. However....can someone give me just a bullet list of things that can eat chlorine and cause a zero read out. At first I thought it was old test chemicals but am getting same with a new test kit. (not strips). Pool has be fine for years...but this year....Mustard algae (anyone else suffering in the Houston area with this problem so early in the season and a completely 'white' test water sample after the drops are added to the test sample.?

Here's my latest test samples.

All pool water - Clear (white), no pink whatsoever.

1/2 pool, 1/2 bottled spring water - Clear, no pink whatsoever.

All tap - 1CL / 2Br

1/2 pool, 1/2 tap - .5CL / 1 Br.

I'm using my standard amount of Leslies' pool pucks and put 2 lbs of shock in about 10 days ago.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Chlorine

What test kit are you using?

Did it come with a CYA test?

Before anyone can really help you, we need to know these things.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am sorry to say that the bullet list will not help now. Regardless of what the culprit is, SLAM is the answer. But, depending on the test results, we may suggest a drain/refill dance first!

So, before we can really help, we need a full set of test results, please

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

There actually is sort of a "bullet" list that is often overlooked but is essential in understanding your pool water.

That list has two items....

1. UV from the sun

2. Organics in your pool water.

Those are the only two things that consume chlorine.......nothing else.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

A member here for 4 years still using Leslies' pool pucks & shock

I would like to see test results also, especially CYA.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post

That list has two items....

1. UV from the sun

2. Organics in your pool water.

Those are the only two things that consume chlorine.......nothing else.
    And Organics will include leaves, pollen, swim suits, body oils, sweat, hair, and so on.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, thanks I'll get a full test. As I recall in May....I think the CYA and CH were very naughty indeed, but I'll re-check.

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

I take it you don't have your own test kit, and that you are still relying on Leslie's for your testing.

With that, you can count on having recurrences of cloudiness and algae.

Very strongly recommended that you purchase your own kit, either the TF-100 or K-2006. I can guarantee the it will pay for itself in one season.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    I take it you don't have your own test kit, and that you are still relying on Leslie's for your testing.

With that, you can count on having recurrences of cloudiness and algae.

Very strongly recommended that you purchase your own kit, either the TF-100 or K-2006. I can guarantee the it will pay for itself in one season.
    No, I do have the kits. One of them covers all the tests and has the Water Balancer wheel in it. It's a few years old, hence I thought the chlorine test results were down to old chemicals, so I bought a new basic kit for free chlorine and PH. It's been a while since I had any algae problems, to the point where I found a part used bottle of algaecide in my garage and I can't recall when I bought it, so everything has been fine for years....just all gone to pot this season. I do know my CH and CYA are up from several years ago, but I'll retest and post back.

Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds like you still need order one of the recommended test kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Sounds like you still need order one of the recommended test kits.
    Or at least new reagents. Get them at the same place: http://TFtestkits.net

12. Back To Top    #12

OK, hopefully I've fixed the mustard algae problem. I went with a couple of packs of jacks yellow out, a little bit each week, copious amounts of pool wall scrubbing and I'm trying Clorox brand pool shock. Also cut over to Clorox bleach. I've got the free chlorine at 3 ppm now and all looks ok so far. The local Kroger now has a range of Clorox pool supplies in stock, so we'll see how that goes.
    Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

I did get rid of all my yellow algae and spots of black algae. To anyone having problems, try Clorox pool shock and some ordinary bleach. If you have a spa connected to the pool, try dumping the bleach into the spa with the pump off. So let the bleach sit in the spa overnight, my theory is that a lot of this algae starts life in the shallower and thus warmer temps of the spa. I've got my chlorine levels back and stable and all algae has gone.

Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

Adding any chemicals without the pump running is not recommended by TFP.

Also, there is nothing special about "Clorox pool shock"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

It isn't a good idea to blindly add products without proper testing (with a recommended test kit). Given the products you are using, I'm willing to bet your CYA is sky high. A clear pool doesn't mean a sanitized pool.

I'm sure you could cut your pool chemical costs if you really switch to the TFP methods. If you are going to keep using pool store "shock" and other magic potions, expect to pay for it in time and $$$.

If you use a recommended test kit, test regularly, make adjustments as needed, you won't have to battle algae again.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

16. Back To Top    #16

I have switched to Taylor 2006 test kit and I think that it has saved me alot of headaches as far as accuracy in test results. I totally recommend it to you, easy to use, the directions are explicit. If you can count you can use this test kit with ease.
    Dawson, MN.,135,000 gallon indoor pool with a sand filter system and a auto-chem feed. I believe it is a BECSYS 3 feeder. The pool is located in a High School and only open from Nov.- Apr. It is also and IG pool I use the Taylor 2006 test kit and love it

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Adding any chemicals without the pump running is not recommended by TFP.

Also, there is nothing special about "Clorox pool shock"
    I thought the Clorox Pool shock was a different chemical than that supplied by Leslie's etc? Anyway, I have good stable chlorine readings, clear pool water and no algae.
    Thanks

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by iceflow View Post
    I thought the Clorox Pool shock was a different chemical than that supplied by Leslie's etc?
    Per the MSDS, they all have the same active ingredient of trichlor which is one of the types of chlorine that includes CYA, but at different strengths.

CLOROX POOL & SPA / SHOCK QUICK / 10: Has 30 to 60% Trichlor
    CLOROX POOL & SPA SUPER / SHOCK QUICK / 20: Has 40 to 70% Trichlor

Leslie's Super Shock has > 70% of Trichlor.
    Leslie's Gensis Shock has around 63% of Trichlor (I couldn't find the MSDS for this one).
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile