Copper Ionization system

Jul 9, 2011
Has anyone tried this?
I have a cousin that's been using it on his 24' AGP for a couple years and it's been doing good.The only thing he add's is a bag of there shock once a week and his pool stay's clear and hasel free.

Copper is practically a 4-letter word here, for good reason.

Your cousin may be very lucky, he may have a hassle free pool for ever and will swear by his system. It is far more likely that one season things will go south real fast. I would be willing to bet money that one day that the pool water and everything that touches it will look like the Chicago River of St. Patrick's day.

Every blonde and red head is bound to have green hair soon enough. A bag of shock every week... he's more than likely got some cooties growing too.

Copper is an algaecide with the side effect of staining plaster surfaces and turning blond hair green if one does not carefully keep the pH and copper levels from getting too high.

If the system is copper only and not a copper and silver combination, then it won't even be killing fecal bacteria. See the table in this post for a comparison of pathogen kill times using chlorine vs. copper vs. silver. There's no comparison. The use of metal ion systems without chlorine is not EPA-approved for disinfection, but such EPA rules are only enforced at the state level in commercial/public swimming pools. It's just like regulations preventing leaving a chicken out at room temperature for hours in a restaurant kitchen and not cleaning the counter so the next food item also gets contaminated. There are laws to prevent that, but in your own kitchen you can do whatever you want, just as you can do in your pool. The government isn't going to protect you from yourself.

Yes ive heard but the funny thing is his kids have blind hair and its not green.He has had it for a while now had has less trouble and spend alot less than I do with my swg and bleach.
His water is always crystal clear.He does have to add muratic every once in while about the same as I.
I was just wondering if anyone esle has tryed it.
Another thing is his has no rust isue's.ive been changing deck screws to SS and had to replace top coping with home made grey board decking scrap's and SS screws that I came up with fom a idea.Next while be the top caps with something that wont rust.

Many people have tried copper. Sometimes it appears to work, even though the water is not getting properly sanitized. But when it doesn't work it can be a very expensive huge mess to cleanup. Even when it is working correctly, it is no simpler than our system, at least if you understand and follow our system.

It is not a bad word ... we are just informed about the complications and not blinded by marketing. And have an understanding of the pool chemistry to know copper is not needed and does not make the water safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.