Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New sand filter on the way

1. Back To Top    #1

New sand filter on the way

I plan on transferring the sand I have in the old filter to the new filter.
    This is stuff I purchased at a spa/pool supply out of Omaha (about a 2-1/2 hour drive) when we purchased the pump.
    IT's pretty pure white.
    I looked at this stuff and Menards when when to see of they had a new unit to replace the old
    (( Pool Filter Sand )) when I pull up the PDF with the details the sizing matches what I have in the manual.

Just after a 2nd opinion... or do I need to spend the $40 in gas to go get the stuff from the pool and spa....
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

:mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New sand filter on the way

Using the old sand is fine if it's convenient for you. It will almost surely not be enough sand to fill it correctly so you will have to get some more, anyway.

After that, it may be just about as easy to put in all new. From a technical standpoint, either way is fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe you're asking if the pool filter sand from Menards is ok to use? If it is pool filter sand of the correct size / grade, which you said it was, then yes. Most of the pool filter sand I've seen is not white. My filter sand is not white and it did not come from a pool store, and it works just like it should.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jcp View Post
    I believe you're asking if the pool filter sand from Menards is ok to use?
    That'd be correct, and also if it is any better or worse than the stuff I bought at the pool store for like $1.5/lb
    Been reading thru the forums and other sites and some swear by glass, others by zeo, and yet others have had no issue with the $8/50lb stuff...
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

:mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the silica sand from local home improvement store (I think they have it mostly for sandblasting), but the #20 and it is a pretty white sand. About $15 for a 100lb bag I think. I have been using it for 2 years with zero issues. Does a great job.

Glenn
    6500 gal above ground Doughboy with 200lb sand filter and solar panel heater. Converted from Baqua to BBB and never looking back!!