Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thermometers

1. Back To Top    #1

Thermometers

I have a pool THERMOMETER and I don't think the reading is correct. It is one just like this blue_scoop_thermometer.jpg. I have it under the water about 6 inches and the reading on it always seems warmer than the water feels. are theses kinds of THERMOMETERS accurate? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thermometers

Mine is lying too! Says it is still only 83 in Texas at the end of June. I want a refund! I'm sure yours is close enuff.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would compare it to some other thermometer. If nothing else you could take it inside and put it next to your house thermostat. Give it a couple of hours to settle down and then compare the reading to what the thermostat says.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I would compare it to some other thermometer. If nothing else you could take it inside and put it next to your house thermostat. Give it a couple of hours to settle down and then compare the reading to what the thermostat says.
    Thanks for your help JasonLion

5. Back To Top    #5

For less than $20 you can get a laser one and have fun shooting everything from the water to your supply vents in the house.
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...perature%20gun
    18x36 IGVL 36,000 gallons 10.5' on the dive, 1 hp Hayward self priming super pump, 300 lbs sand filter w/ Hayward Vari-Flo valve

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    I have a pool THERMOMETER and I don't think the reading is correct. It is one just like this blue_scoop_thermometer.jpg. I have it under the water about 6 inches and the reading on it always seems warmer than the water feels. are theses kinds of THERMOMETERS accurate? Thanks.
    It is possible that we relate a temperature reading to an air temperature that we feel with our body. I think, but am not sure, that a water temperature when compared to an air temperature will always feel cooler because water conducts heat away from our skin/body more readily than air does. Let us know if the thermometer is accurate
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I did bring it into the house and it is accurate. Thanks for all of the responses.