Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to forum to Today! With Newbie basic questions.

1. Back To Top    #1

New to forum to Today! With Newbie basic questions.

Hello, this is my 1st post.
    I have bought a house this past September with a beautiful Sullivan in ground pool that was built in 1985. I had the pool professionally closed and opened this year and have taken my water in for testing once this year. I added the recomended chemicals as per the store and will be taking another sample in tomorrow. I ordered the TFT 100 kit today so i could start doing this myself. My water has been looking and feeling well but a little cloudy. I want to add a jug of chlorine to shock it but wanted to know how long after its safe to use the pool after adding it. I know there is lots of info. to learn and follow to get into TFPS system. This being my first year with a pool I am really excited about learning to maintaining it. So here are a few newbie basic questions please.

1. How long before I can use the pool after adding liquid chlorine?
    2. I have a in-line chlorinator and a good supply of In-the-swim 3" cholorine pucks I'd like to use up. Should finish with then before starting the TFPS system or can i use them in conjunction with this system?

Thanks
    27k gal, IG gunite, 1hp Century A.O. Smith pool pump,Triton II Sand Filter, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP, Polaris 380 cleaner, Hayward CL200 Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New to forum to Today! With Newbie basic questions.

Welcome to TFP

It is generally safe to swim up to SLAM level for your CYA

To answer your question about the pucks would require a complete set of test results. Preferably from TF-100 and not the pool store as it will depend on your CYA number.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

First newbie mistake: We'd like to see a full set of your current test results before recommending ANYTHING! We won't shoot you though Depending on your cya level, we may or may not recommend using up the tabs. Save them for weekends away or vacation for now. Half an hour after adding and circulating Bleach should be fine. Welcome to the forum and congrats on ordering a test kit we recommend.....AND....supporting the forum by becoming a Lifetime Supporter.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

One 121 oz jug of 8.25% Clorox will only add 3 ppm Free Chlorine to your pool. That is a long way from shock level. That alone is the recommended level for a pool with no stabilizer! If you pour it into the return stream in the pool, you can go ahead and get in within ten minutes, less if you help disperse it by brushing.

Once you get that test kit in your paws, it should be easy enough to get that pool whipped into shape.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the quick replies.
    27k gal, IG gunite, 1hp Century A.O. Smith pool pump,Triton II Sand Filter, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP, Polaris 380 cleaner, Hayward CL200 Chlorinator.