Speaking of insects - Spiders?

I am generally a live and let live kind of person, and being in Texas we find a lot of bugs. As long as they aren't destructive, I tend to just relocate and move on. We got a LOT of rain the other day and I have been finding spiders non stop in my house. I think the flooding drove them in. I have an extra amount of them in the garage. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of them? I would prefer not poison as I have kids and dogs and don't usually use non-discriminate poisons. DE? I know it is different than the pool type. Anyone have any experience with that?

RAID. Not to kill them if you dont want to. Spray it all around where the wall meets the floor, and up teh corners where wall meets wall.. and anyplace else you want to. Spray it all around the door into the house. Bugs of all sorts hate raid. Hate it, and will leave.

I am generally a live and let live kind of person, and being in Texas we find a lot of bugs. As long as they aren't destructive, I tend to just relocate and move on. We got a LOT of rain the other day and I have been finding spiders non stop in my house. I think the flooding drove them in. I have an extra amount of them in the garage. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of them? I would prefer not poison as I have kids and dogs and don't usually use non-discriminate poisons. DE? I know it is different than the pool type. Anyone have any experience with that?

I'm generally a fan of spiders. And they are technically not insects, they are arachnids (they are only common up to the phylum arthropoda). Spiders are generally beneficial, rarely poisonous and, in 99.9% of bite cases, not deadly. The only really nasty spiders are black widows (which can't kill you but hurt like a mother---- when you get bit) and the brown recluse (which is dangerous and should be stayed away from...envenomations should be promptly treated at an area hospital). However, those spiders rarely go after humans and typically only bite when provoked or accidentally contacted, like putting on pair of gardening gloves you left in the garage.

That being said, pests in the house are an annoyance and spiders are ugly (to us humans). SO I would do as the other posters say and spray down your door frames (inside and out) and, if you are intrepid enough, you can get a spray can and do a 12" wide swath around the perimeter of your home to keep them away. If you kill their food source (insects), they will go away....

I'm generally a fan of spiders. And they are technically not insects, they are arachnids (they are only common up to the phylum arthropoda). Spiders are generally beneficial, rarely poisonous and, in 99.9% of bite cases, not deadly. The only really nasty spiders are black widows (which can't kill you but hurt like a mother---- when you get bit) and the brown recluse (which is dangerous and should be stayed away from...envenomations should be promptly treated at an area hospital). However, those spiders rarely go after humans and typically only bite when provoked or accidentally contacted, like putting on pair of gardening gloves you left in the garage.

That being said, pests in the house are an annoyance and spiders are ugly (to us humans). SO I would do as the other posters say and spray down your door frames (inside and out) and, if you are intrepid enough, you can get a spray can and do a 12" wide swath around the perimeter of your home to keep them away. If you kill their food source (insects), they will go away....

Sadly we have had brown recluses in the house - and I have been bitten by brown recluse before - hooray for hospital visits. Black widows and brown widows have been spotted in the garage. And while wolf spiders are not harmful, the mamas are carrying babies on their backs right now, and I found one earlier today - when I caught mom, babies made a break for it. Looked like there must have been at least 30 of them. This was the 4th mom we had found since the rains last week - see, we could be at infestation pretty quickly.

Thanks to you both for the suggestion.

Sadly we have had brown recluses in the house - and I have been bitten by brown recluse before - hooray for hospital visits. Black widows and brown widows have been spotted in the garage. And while wolf spiders are not harmful, the mamas are carrying babies on their backs right now, and I found one earlier today - when I caught mom, babies made a break for it. Looked like there must have been at least 30 of them. This was the 4th mom we had found since the rains last week - see, we could be at infestation pretty quickly.

Thanks to you both for the suggestion.

That's not cool :(

You don't say where your from...I live in Tucson. We have all kinds of spiders and I've had a few tarantulas try to invite themselves in the front door. One even got so far as the living room before I shoo'd him back out with a broom. He was not pleased to say the least.

We also get scorpions every once in a while and, like wolf spiders, the mama's carry their babies too....when you see one of those explode and watch two dozen babies go running in every direction, the freak-out level is off the charts...

I will admit, we pay a pest company monthly to come to our house and spray. Every month the guy comes and sprays the house perimeter, all the points of entry and inside the house along the walls. Critters don't like to be out in the open, they usually stick to the molding along the floor/wall. $45/month to keep the Misses happy. My neighbor does his own home himself, I'm too busy with keeping my pool pretty so the money I save on not having a "pool guy" goes to the "bug guy"....

Good luck, and stay away from those recluses......

Spray! Sounds like you have built up lots of good bug karma in the years of no spray and "relocating" -- get those nasty spiders out of your house!

One of the first things I install in every house we buy (work moves us every 4 - 5 years) is a central vacuum system. The main reason is because we generally have at least one German Shepherd Dog (think continual shedding machine) but a secondary reason is it allows us to give bugs an "E" ticket ride (extra credit for knowing where that comes from). With a centralized tanks for all the junk vacuumed up it moves any bugs somewhere safe and away from us. Our last house was in an area of Virginia that is being overrun with Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs. Their name does not do them justice. Each day I would come home from work and walk the house with the vac hose and suck them up. I'll take spiders any day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.