In ground pool plumbing

Hello everybody
I was hoping you would be able to help answer a few questions about plumbing an in ground pool. I'll start with a little back story. We moved in to our new home last year the house has a 22,000 gallon in ground pool it is equipped with 2 skimmers 2 returns and a wall suction during the final walk through the previous owner decided that was the appropriate time to tell me that the far side skimmer and return were not connected. I consulted with a pool guy and he told me the pool would function with just the 1 skimmer and return. It's a lot of work keeping it cleaned and skimmed but it is functioning. This season I had to replace a couple of valves and found the connected lines are flex pipe which I have been told is no good for underground use. So at the end of the season I was planning on replacing the plumbing I also wanted to replace my pump with a variable speed pump to reduce energy costs. The current plumbing is 1.5 inch and my understanding is that the variable speed pumps work best with 2 or 3 inch lines so my question is what size should I use? when everything is connected there will be 2 skimmers 2 returns and a bottom suction running. over the next couple of seasons I also plan on putting in a pool slide and water feature. Currently I have a reliant sand filter with 300 lbs of sand, a propane pool heater, in line chlorinator, and 1hp single speed Hayward super pump 2. Are there any advantages or possible complications of using 3" over 2" is 3" just an overkill and wasted expense? If I choose 1 size over the other would the Increased flow overpower the filter, heater or chlorinator? I would appreciate any advice you can give me

Welcome to TFP!

2" is fine if you run each skimmer/return back to the equipment pad separately.

Flow rate is determined mostly by the pump, and secondarily by the plumbing. I didn't see you mention a specific pump, so I can't say how high your flow rate might be or if that would be a problem for the heater or filter. Chances are you will be fine, but I can't really say without knowing the pump.

Hi Jason,
Thank you for your reply the pump I will be using initially is a single speed 1 HP Hayward super pump 2. I will be replacing it with the Hayward ecostar variable speed pump or at least that's the front runner right now I've also heard good things about the eco pump ep6 but I believe it's new to the market so right now I feel a little more comfortable with the hayward.

Your system will be fine with a 1 HP Super Pump. The EcoStar is capable of being too much if you turn the speed up too high. You will want to use a speed well below maximum speed if you get the EcoStar. I recommend staying away from the EcoPump, it doesn't compare to the EcoStar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.