Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to TroubleFreePool World!

1. Back To Top    #1

New to TroubleFreePool World!

Hello Pool Pro's,

Brand new to forum and BBB method.
    My old 1hp pump was leaking, so I took it to a pool store to replace the seals and the impeller was cracked. They had to order a new impeller which took 5 days and the pump still leaked when i hooked it back up. So I replaced my old DE filter and pump with a sand/micromatic media filter/pump combo. The pool was a swamp by this time. I found this site, and read and got some pool schooling so now the pool is clear enough to see the bottom. I just tested the pool water with new TF-100 kit, just got the test kit so haven't done an OCLT

FC-0
    TC- 0
    CH- NOT TESTED
    CYA- <20
    TA- 70
    pH- 7.8

I don't want to wait another week to use this money/life sucking pool. I will buy the liquid stabilizer. Can I add the stabilizer and then start the SLAMing? Or do I need to wait 4 hours to start SLAMing? Thanks
    7700g AG, 1hp two speed pump, Sand/Micromatic Media Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to TroubleFreePool World!

Don't waste your money on liquid stabilizer. There is no waiting with granular. It takes time to dissolve, but you don't wait for that to happen, you go straight to taking care of the pool regardless.

You can start SLAMing right away, add stabilizer when you can (well don't wait too long). I would start by lowering PH to between 7.2 and 7.5, then SLAM away. Shock level is 10 when CYA is < 20. Adjust your shock level to account for any stabilizer additions starting 24 hours after you add stabilizer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok just tested the water w/TF-100 and pump has been running nonstop, water is nice and clear,

FC-12
    CC-0
    CH-350
    CYA-40
    TA-80
    pH- 7.2

Thanks for your trusted advice, one question though, is the water ok to swim in with the FC @ 12
    Thanks again

5. Back To Top    #5

any suggestions for a decent manual vacuum head?

6. Back To Top    #6

As I've read here many times it's safe to swim if fc is under slam level. As long as you can see the bottom for safety reasons
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Gully,

I just got this from Amazon this year. Only weak spot appears to the plastic pin that attaches the head to the part that goes into the pole. I figure if that breaks I can find a bolt that will fit and do the job. So far the brush has worked great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glenn
    6500 gal above ground Doughboy with 200lb sand filter and solar panel heater. Converted from Baqua to BBB and never looking back!!

8. Back To Top    #8

I can see the bottom but it's not crystal clear, I was in earlier today to sweep and clear debris and I did a great job of scattering debris and dirt around the pool, I also realized my water level was getting low in the skimmer so I filled the pool up to mid to upper skimmer level, now I'm going to test the water again. Thanks for the tips I appreciate the advice. I'm trying to not let this "thing" beat me. It was nice to get into water even though I made it worse.