First Reading After Opening Pool and SLAMing

Jun 14, 2011
New Jersey
So I took my first real reading after adding all the chemicals and such, it has been almost two weeks since then. My FC was very slow to drop and just got to acceptable level today even though my SWG is still set to 0% production.
PH - 7.5
FC - 5
CC - 0.5
TC - 5.5
TA - 80
CH - 290
CYA - 95
My question is regarding TA and CYA. For my TA test the water turned completely blue for a second at 8 drops and then back to green (not sure if there was a different tint or yellowish tint to it). Then it turned red at 9 drops. Would TA be 80 or 90 in this case?
Is my CYA too high at 95? I think my pool may not be 29,000 Gallons after all since most my levels went higher then expected. I did get help form you guys a couple of seasons ago to calculate my volume and the last two seasons that estimate seemed to have worked perfect so I am bit confused. I adjusted my PH to 7.5 two weeks ago and still holding there without adding any acid which is nice.
Based on my adding 25lbs of Calcium Hardness (my CH was 160 at opening) and it rising to 290 I would have a 21,000 Gallon pool but that makes no sense whatsoever. I have been using 29,000 Gallons for adjusting my PH which is spot on and most other readings are a lot closer then this. My pool is free forms (hard to measure) and the builders paperwork states its 34,000 Gallons. To raise CYA from 35 to 95 I added 8lbs of Stablizer, that shows I have a 16,000 gallon pool, does this make any sense? Is there some easy way to figure it out?

Your TA description sounds like 90. Once the color starts changing, you continue adding drops as long as it continues changing. The final drop that doesn't change the color any further does not count.

Yes, CYA at 95 is quite high. The real danger here is that the CYA test will report valves over 100 as results near 100, so there is some chance the actual level is much higher. Even if only 95, that is still over our recommended max. CYA will drop slowly over the course of the season, and 95 isn't the end of the world. I'd try the test again, but this time mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water, test that, and multiply the result by two. If still around 95, let it drift down naturally. If higher then replace some water to get it under 100.

Don't count on any single chemical addition to indicate pool size. Watch for trends over a number of different chemical additions for hints on how to adjust your guess at pool volume. There is no easy way to get an answer, but over time you can gain more and more confidence in your estimate.

Your TA description sounds like 90. Once the color starts changing, you continue adding drops as long as it continues changing. The final drop that doesn't change the color any further does not count.

Yes, CYA at 95 is quite high. The real danger here is that the CYA test will report valves over 100 as results near 100, so there is some chance the actual level is much higher. Even if only 95, that is still over our recommended max. CYA will drop slowly over the course of the season, and 95 isn't the end of the world. I'd try the test again, but this time mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water, test that, and multiply the result by two. If still around 95, let it drift down naturally. If higher then replace some water to get it under 100.

Don't count on any single chemical addition to indicate pool size. Watch for trends over a number of different chemical additions for hints on how to adjust your guess at pool volume. There is no easy way to get an answer, but over time you can gain more and more confidence in your estimate.

What is the danger of having the CYA over 100 Jason? I do not have a way to refill the water really so that would be troublesome for me. Would mean I have to get someone to deliver water and start SLAMing process again.

The largest issue is that if you somehow get algae, you will need insane amounts of chlorine to clean it up. There are also several secondary issues, the most noticeable on being that it is difficult to know what your CYA level actually is as soon as you go beyond the range of the test. You can still test with dilution, but that result is way less precise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.