Low PSI on low speed can't run heater and gurgling noise from one jet

You have a lot of hose clamps. Any one of those could be leaking air which may explain the air in the returns. Those are union valves correct? Those too are subject to air leaks.

Does the heater connect to the "hot" and "cold" lines?

To use the heater, do you shut off the valve in the middle and turn both of the other two on?

Not sure what type of valves they are.

That picture was a little dated, it was too cold to have the heater on, you are correct I would shut off the blade in the middle and turn those other two on.

A few more questions:

What is the height of the equipment relative to the pool water level?

The two lines going into the pump, is one the skimmer and the other a main drain or are they both skimmers?

Do you see any air in the pump basket, high or low speed?

Is the air out of the return only on low speed?

Do you have solar panels too?

What is the filter pressure with the pump at full speed, with and without the heater in-line? Pressure should be lower with the heater bypassed.

That might help but I am more interested in why it worked before and not now. It could be symptom of something else which should be corrected first.

A few more questions:

What is the height of the equipment relative to the pool water level?

The two lines going into the pump, is one the skimmer and the other a main drain or are they both skimmers?

Do you see any air in the pump basket, high or low speed?

Is the air out of the return only on low speed?

Do you have solar panels too?

What is the filter pressure with the pump at full speed, with and without the heater in-line? Pressure should be lower with the heater bypassed.

Sorry in my delay for responding.

Answers:

Equipment is in Cabana, maybe 1 1/4 feet above water level.

No air in basket either in high or low, it's perfectly clear, no swirls.

I hear the air out of the return on high speed, it's hard to hear it on low.

No solar panels.

Filter pressure on high with heater on is 17.

Filter pressure on high with heater bypassed is 14.

Did the pictures I sent help you determine how I would do that back flush you recommended I try?

To backflush a line, you open the pump basket lid, place a hose wrapped in a wet rag into the pipe coming into the pump basket. Also, remove the skimmer basket at pool side. Turn on the hose and see if anything comes out the skimmer and/or main drain. Because you have two lines coming into the pump, you can turn one off at a time and flush each line separately.

However, given the filter pressure, I am not sure now that you have any blockage in your lines. You would normally see air in the pump basket swirling around.

I hear the air out of the return on high speed, it's hard to hear it on low.
So are you only hearing it but not seeing air come out of the returns? Where do you "hear" it?

The pictures you have shown, shows a SuperPump not a Super II. Is it labeled as a Super II. This is what a Super II looks like:

superiipump.jpg

And this is what a SuperPump looks like:

Hayward%20Super%20Pump%20(2).jpg

So the person closing the pool got the air out of the return from the stairs and it took him 2 minutes, I actually never got anyone out to the pool so I continued to have the problem.

It was so simple, he went through the standard backwash, rinse, recirculate, but then when he had it it in the filter position, he pushed down on the handle for a minutes, even less and it for the air out that was causing the issue. I can't believe that was all that was necessary.

That just purges the air from the filter but it may not solve the problem permanently. If you have an air leak on the suction side of the pump, air will eventually fill the filter again, and you may end up with the same problem. Time will tell.

Hey Mark, could changing from the normal eyeballs to the slotted design changed flow/back pressure?

That was my thought as well... The slotted jets may be reducing the backpressure to the point where the heater pressure switch won't close in. That could explain why the heater was working before on low speed. As was already mentioned, you may need to run the pump on high speed to get the heater to kick on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.