maganese

Jun 29, 2014
Cushing
Pool is a 22 x 54" above ground pool. I use a salt water system with my filter pump. Last year I did not have any problems and had crystal clear water. This year, I followed the same process, using my well water again, to fill the pool. Unfortunately, the water this time tapped into the well too much and I have Manganesein it. My question is not about all of the different levels, because I know what my problem is, but is how to get the light brownish yellow tint out of the water now due to the Manganese. Is there anything I can do that you know will work that will help without draining the water. I Know that Manganesewill yellow clothing. . . thank you.

Re: New Saltwater Pool, proper birthing order?

Hi. My pool just turned brown after I shocked it because I have manganese it it, but I didn't realize it until now. Were you able to get the brown color out and back to clear water without having to drain? Wondering what you did or used. Thank you.

The best thing to do is replace the water with water that does not contain metals. Sometimes that is not an option.

As long as the metals are dissolved in the water you can not remove them.

Raising PH and adding chlorine will both tend to cause the metals to come out of solution, however this nearly always results in the metals being deposited on the surface of the pool, rather than forming particles that could be filtered out.

This is what happened when you added a product to raise FC. Now you need a sequestrant to bind the metals and hold them in suspension. Start with the product recommended dose and continue with maintenance doses.

Did you read the link I added in my first post? Recommended sequestrants are listed near the bottom.

The best thing to do is replace the water with water that does not contain metals. Sometimes that is not an option.

As long as the metals are dissolved in the water you can not remove them.

Raising PH and adding chlorine will both tend to cause the metals to come out of solution, however this nearly always results in the metals being deposited on the surface of the pool, rather than forming particles that could be filtered out.

This is what happened when you added a product to raise FC. Now you need a sequestrant to bind the metals and hold them in suspension. Start with the product recommended dose and continue with maintenance doses.

Did you read the link I added in my first post? Recommended sequestrants are listed near the bottom.

I did read that link. Thank you. I am in the process of using the product and soaking my filter in the solution as well. I keep swapping out the filters in the solution soak 3 to 4 times a day. Progress is being made. Just hoping for normal color water. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

We have had our well water extensively tested in the past. We installed a treatment system for the house to handle it.

Maybe a kind of pre-filter in the skimmer basket could help remove some metals? Do a site search (top right) for "paper towel method" and see if that might give you some ideas.

Dealing w/metals, as you know, is going to be an ongoing problem requiring maintenance doses of sequestrant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.