Just got electric bill - time for a variable speed pump?

tj__r

Jul 6, 2012
Way north of Chicago
Looks like approx 800 KWH/month to run our pool pump! This month's electric bill happened to start just the time we opened up the pool. Makes sense, as it's a 1.5 HP pump running for about 16 hr/day. So, is it time to think about a variable speed pump? Here's the dope on our setup:

25000 gal fiberglass/concrete pool
4 skimmers + main drain, 5 eyeball returns
1.5 HP Magnetek/Starite pump, could be 10 or 15 years old on a mechanical timer + GFI
Jacuzzi Sherlock 120 cartridge filter
All plumbing 1.5"
Pump, filter, heater in basement about level of bottom of pool
Gas heater
Have a booster pump for cleaner, but use electric robot instead

I believe I have the skills to do an install myself. Worth doing? Which pump? What kind of KWH savings could I expect? Is there a simple way to interface with the heater (now it's connected to the pump timer)?

Thanks for any advice.

A two speed pump run on low speed will save you 50% off the pumps electric bill. However, a much simpler approach would be to shorten your pump run time. Most pools are just fine with the pump running 4 hours a day, a few require 5 or 6 hours a day. I can't imagine you needing 16 hours a day. If you cut that back to 4 hours a day that would save you 75% right away with no investment.

A variable speed won't save you all that much more. If your electric rates are low it might not save you anything more. Having four skimmers limits just how far you can turn down the pump speed, which is where the largest savings come from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.