Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algicide before SLAM???

1. Back To Top    #1

Algicide before SLAM???

OK I realized I may take some heat for asking this question but here is goes.

I understand we don't need to use Algicide when properly using the TFP method and that it's just a waste of money. I get that when your pool numbers are good and you have no issues. But suppose you have come to the conclusion that you need to SLAM. Why would it be a bad idea to use a bottle of algicide before you need to SLAM just to get a little kick start in killing the Alge before pouring tons of bleach when SLAMing. Seems to me it would and could reduce the time and amount of bleach needed to SLAM the pool. Or does it have negative affects? What am I missing?
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algicide before SLAM???

Well, algaecide is more effective at preventing algae, but not so good at killing. You need chlorine for that

Save yourself some money on algaecide and spend it on non-stabilize chlorine.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Algaecide is a preventative product (and doesn't do well for that, even), not an algae killer. The best thing anyone has found for killing algae is chlorine.

Forget the magic potions.

Adjust your pH to 7.2 and start your SLAM.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Main thing is that algaecide isn't that "strong" -- it can help to stop an algae bloom from starting but it's generally not going to have a lot of effect stopping an active algae bloom.

You also see a bunch of odd posts like "why is my pool foaming ??" that often trace back to algaecide.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, some algaecides contain metals that could cause stains and they could cause foaming. Foaming would cause more 'stuff' to be oxidized, needing more bleach. Vicious circle. btw, we only recommend one algaecide when needed and that is Polyquat 60 - rarely needed. Sometimes when closing and always with AA treatments.

ETA: Boy, you guys are fast!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, that explains it. Didn't realize it doesn't kill alge. I agree that it's a waste of money, stopped using that **** 2 years ago and never had any issues since.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, algaecide generally causes more problems than it is worth. Best thing you can do with that stuff is throw it in the dumpster!
    16,000 gallon Oval Vinyl Liner Pool (new liner 2014)
    Custom built in 1999 to be half in-ground and half out (sloped yard) vermiculite bottom, laser sighted to Florida Room and Deck
    Purex Triton Model cc100 Cartridge Filter, 100 gpm flow rate, Penfair 1HP Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit