SWG before or after T

Jun 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
This side conversation has been split off of this topic. JasonLion

I have an Intellichlor, DE filter and heater (all Pentair). All the water flow goes through my IntelliCHlor, No Tee!

What was there PRIOR to the IntelliChlor? Perhaps the previous chlorinator required a Tee...I think you're right though, whoever did the installation did not do something right. All the pool water from the filter should flow through the IntelliChlor, there should be nothing bypassing the inlet.

Re: Pentair Intelli Low flow - Plumbing Issue??

SunnyOptimism, that isn't always true. It depends on where that pipe goes. If it is going to a spa or fountain or waterfall you want it plumbed the way it is.

I read your original post a little closer - so you say

One returns to pool, the other to the SWG and then to the pool.

That is completely the wrong installation then. If both those pipes near the IC-20 are returns, then the output of the IC20 should have been tee'd to the two return pipes...the installation is all fracked up. Whoever did the install (Pool store?) did it wrong. She should drag them over there and have them fix it at NO COST!

SunnyOptimism, that isn't always true. It depends on where that pipe goes. If it is going to a spa or fountain or waterfall you want it plumbed the way it is.

I agree with that statement...BUT...if it is running another pool feature (Spa, waterfall, etc), then there should be a valve there to control the flow. You can't just split the input flow evenly like that and expect it to work. The IC-20 is going to have a certain level of "insertion loss" (that is, it will generate a pressure drop relative to a straight smooth pipe), so the split flow at the input, at a minimum, needs some kind of three-way valve to regulate the flow or else water, like electricity, will tend to flow through the path of least resistance.

In my pool, I have a spa. So the OUTPUT of my IC-40 splits between my spa and the pool based on a three-way valve similar to what's in the original poster's pictures.. My water feature is on a completely separate pump.

Also, the original post stated those were both pool returns....so it makes no sense as to why you have two returns setup like that (one with chlorinated water and one with only filtered water).

Here's the relevant page from my Pentair Installation manual -

Also NOTE - The manual says that best flow sensing occurs when there 12" to 18" of straight pipe BEFORE the input!

img002_zps2edc1510.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Most manufacturers disagree with that diagram. When installing a SWG on a pool spa combo system where you do not have an automation system installing the SWG before the split to the spa results in drastically too much chlorine getting added to the spa in spa mode.

Most manufacturers disagree with that diagram. When installing a SWG on a pool spa combo system where you do not have an automation system installing the SWG before the split to the spa results in drastically too much chlorine getting added to the spa in spa mode.

In my system, I have a Pentair IntelliTouch/EasyTouch control system. When you enter SPA mode, the IC-40 SWG is commanded to reduce output to 5% of the set-point value for POOL mode. So when you run the SPA, the IC-40 goes from say 40% output to 2% output during spa use.

So YES, you do have to adjust your plumbing to compensate if you have no automation controls. However, from the original post, it sounds like both of those PVC lines run to POOL returns, so we'll have to wait for more information. That being said, you still can't split the input like how it is done with no control valve at all to split the flow rate, that's just bad plumbing design.

Just curious - why did you split the thread? Was I not supposed to post that picture? Did I violate a site rule?

No, there weren't any rules violations, but it was getting way off topic/not helpful to the original poster.

OK :cool:

Well I thought the diagram would be helpful to him to at least see what the Pentair recommended setup is as I'm sure his neighbor friend probably doesn't have any of the installation materials. Looks like a cheap/hack installation job was done to me but that's only IMHO.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.