Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter Fingers

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter Fingers

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck or tips for repairing a DE filter fingers. My fingers have popped seams (this seems to happen on the regular with this particular manufacturer) and I'm unsure how to proceed to fix them. The hole is about 2" long. Would an RTV type material work in this setting? Sew it up with a specific type of thread? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Pool Size: 24' Round (~13,600 gallons)
    Filter Type: DE
    Pool Type: AG
    Pump Size: 2 HP Dual-speed
    Filter Flow-rate: 63GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Filter Fingers

You can replace the fingers. They shouldn't be having so many issues. Which filter do you have?

Also, a 2 hp pump is way oversized for your pool and your filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, that sig is old. The pump is a 1HP (the 2HP pump died due to bad bearings - apparently it happened a lot with that particular motor; it was before I knew about this website and purchased a pump from the recommendations of employees at Namco). The problem is that Namco is now out of business in this area and it will take at least two weeks to order the parts from someone online. I am hoping to use a quick fix until the new ones come in. My filter is a Clearwater II DE filter with 18" fingers.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd stitch things up with dental floss, since it's nylon and tough. Then seal the rips with RTV or hot glue or something. Losing 10% of the surface is better than not running the filter!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

So a few weeks ago I had my grandmother stitch them up with carpet thread (really thick, heavy duty stuff). It worked like a charm... but I just took my filter apart again to clean and I have another ripped seam, same location. Pump pressure never goes higher than 12 PSI (10 without DE, 12 with) so I don't think it could be the pressure. What could be causing this short of shoddy manufacturing?

Edit - additional information: This is the new finger set, already one seam busted.