Raypak heater pilot problem

Jun 28, 2014
Lambertville MI
I have a 6 year old Raypak (Rheem) m206a heater that will not light. It call for heat and then continues to spark, without lighting the pilot. I took the pilot out and cleaned everything including the orfice. I can visibly see the spark but smell no gas. (Valves are on, made that mistake before). I would like thoughts on where to go next. Can the pilot still be a concern even though I see the spark? Is there a concern with the regulator valve? I also see some people referencing board replacement. I'd hate to just start swapping expensive parts. Thanks

When you turn the unit on and is says SPK, do you hear or feel the gas valve inside click? The first click of the gas valve is the pilot side of the valve. If this never clicks you will not get gas to the pilot. Then I would suspect the gas valve. To check the valve, you need to make sure it's getting the 24v it needs to operate.

Update: First off, thanks to ps0303 for the response. I recently installed another Raypack for the pool (this one is on a spa) and realized the pilot is the same model even though the unit is larger and newer. Swapping parts confirmed that the pilot was the issue. $40 worth of parts on order and should have it going in a few days. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.