Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added Boric Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Added Boric Acid

I would like to make a plug for the pool math calculator. It is dead on accurate! I bought 15 boxes of 20 mule team borax and a four pack of 31% Muriatic Acid from a store that has the Hasa.com that Richard320 made a plug for in one of his posts. Each box of borax was $3.38 at Wal-Mart and the MA was $16.00 plus the $6.00 deposit. My wife had a little 20 mule team borax leftover from like forever so I figured with the pool math calculator that I needed 4 and 1/3 gallons of MA and then poured the borax in and added the MA in 1/4 increments.

I waited almost an hour and a half then tested with my new borate testing strip and checked my PH with my TF-100 tester. Holy crapola folks, I was dead on 50 ppm of borates and my PH was dead on 7.5! I can't tell you how easy it was to do this with the pool math calculator! I'm so impressed with it.

Now, I have sparklypoolitis! Getting ready to string a new pool light in later on tonight after it cools off a little bit. We've had a long streak of temperatures in the middle of what we call the one oh's, 105, 106...so we're going to wait until about 5 pm to start that. My wife and I are psyched big time as the pool light has not worked in over 5 years. Wish me luck!
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added Boric Acid

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's a picture:

[IMG][/IMG]
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

4. Back To Top    #4

Gorgeous oasis.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Gorgeous oasis.
    I can't take all the credit. I must give a shout out to this site. I came here when I had a problem and instantly wished I had googled this place more than 3 years ago. I had a green pool when I found this site and since then, I've been looking at my pool from a different perspective. As you can see from the picture, I really don't have much to do anymore but upkeep. Finding this site has been really easy on the wallet. I believe I will never have to SLAM or shock (bad word I know) my pool ever again.

Having the test kits has really taught me quite a bit about how my pool works. That and the fact that I've replaced my pumps and fixed leaks over the last 3 years has given me the opportunity to really get to know my pool. I also pulled all the pop ups out and cleaned those up 3 summers ago and haven't had a problem at all with those since then. My pool is definitely an oasis, and thanks for the comment woodyp. I must also thank everyone here who is always giving out their time to help everyone that continually comes on daily with their problems. It's much appreciated by all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Gorgeous oasis.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!