Need Advice for Intex 32X16 AG

Hello there!
Sooo happy to have found this awesome website!!
Last year we were given an intex 18'x48" AG pool and got hooked! The original pump that came with it was quite insufficient, but we decided to stick with it for one season.
This year, we decided to upgrade to a intex 32x16 AG . I am getting more informed and would like to get some advice on a few things:

- is the sand filter pump that comes with it big enough?

-does it come with a SWG ? I find conflicting answers for that one... Is there different models/packages for that pool? Im not sure...

-we had the deluxe skimmer that attaches to the wall on the smaller pool and i hated it! I am strongly considering putting a hayward widemouth skimmer in right away. I read threads regarding this and some people install it after the pool is filled(they didn't want to empty their already filled pool)some people do it before hand... Which one is better? Should I install it as we set up the pool?

- we are having the ground leveled professionally, i the was thinking about buying the gorilla ground cloth... Is this even necessary? I know the pool comes with a cheap ground cloth...

Ok, i can't think of anything else for now, thanks in advance for your help!!

Amelie:D

Re: New pool advice for intex 32x16 AG

bump? I'm assuming you were refreshing the post??

I got the pool and definitely does not have the salt water generator. So my question would now be, is my pump (2650gph) big enough for this pool (~14000g)? And if not, what size would be adequate?

I am a little disappointed, I would have hoped to get some replies by now. Please let me know if I need to do something more/else??

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new pool - we also got that size this year and I'm loving it. Of course, now I'm hoping they'll make a 20 x 40!!

As to your questions: I don't use the Intex pump so cannot speak to if it is sufficient, but I read a lot on TFP and don't recall anyone complaining. For the most part I think people are very satisfied with the Intex sand filters. I think most people add the skimmer with a lot of water in the pool - with the theory being the liner will be nice and taut and in place. Several threads details the process with pix. You might look in the Above Ground Pool section of the forum. As to the ground cloth: a) what will the pool be on - that is, you said the site will be professionally leveled - will the pool be atop crushed rock, soil, sand, concrete, etc; b) will you plan to take the pool down in the winter and re-erect each spring/summer or will you leave it up all year? I'd guess these variables could make a difference on whether to upgrade the ground cloth with Gorilla Pad, the puzzle-piece mats, or foam insulation.

Thanks a lot for your replies! I guess i was getting a little impatient?! ;)

Well, I think we might be doing the leveling ourselves after all, I think it will be soil, we looked into sand filling and it just sounded very expensive for it. Our soil is pretty sandy though.. I might look into insulation material. What do you think Crek31?
If I can, I'd like to keep the pool up during the winter, I see a lot of people are doing that despite intex recommendations not too...
I decided I am going to wait for the skimmer, so we'll figure that part later!
I'll let you guys know how it goes !
Thanks again!

Hi Ameliethib and welcome to TFP :wave:

TFP has been busting at the seems with new posts and we have been working hard to answer all of them! We apologize for taking a while getting to you!

Also, I have moved your thread to "Above Ground Pools" to see if you can get some more help :smile:

It is a pretty big up front cost, but the foam insulation is great under foot. My biggest dislike about it is having to store 25 or so of the 4x8 sheets in the off-season, because I do take mine down each year. If you have a good level, well-compacted area and can invest in the foam, I would guess that would work well for year-round use. I have no experience with the other options, but maybe someone else will chime in. Biggest factor in pool enjoyment (other than keeping it sparkly!) is being sure to properly level -- don't skimp on that step!

Happy Swimming!

Hi Ameliethib and welcome to TFP :wave:

TFP has been busting at the seems with new posts and we have been working hard to answer all of them! We apologize for taking a while getting to you!

Also, I have moved your thread to "Above Ground Pools" to see if you can get some more help :smile:

Ok,thank you! I'm really sorry! I just was seeing all the other posts being active and was getting concerned I wasn't doing something right!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is a pretty big up front cost, but the foam insulation is great under foot. My biggest dislike about it is having to store 25 or so of the 4x8 sheets in the off-season, because I do take mine down each year. If you have a good level, well-compacted area and can invest in the foam, I would guess that would work well for year-round use. I have no experience with the other options, but maybe someone else will chime in. Biggest factor in pool enjoyment (other than keeping it sparkly!) is being sure to properly level -- don't skimp on that step!

Happy Swimming!

Ok thanks,
The insulation is actually way cheaper than sand around here! So we will definitely do that, thanks for the tip!
We just have had a hard time finding someone to do the leveling... We will see, we have one more lead!

Hi there!
So we after many issues with the "professional levelers" and several no shows, we actually did most of the leveling ourselves... Yeah, never again! :rant:
We did use foam which was a breeze to install, the pool is now filled, very evenly. The problem now is what the beams are sitting on: we used pavers... I think at the end we were getting sick and tired of all this and didn't finish the one side properly: i think the sand is not compacted enough and the pavers are breaking under the pressure:(
I really dont want to have to empty the pool, i was wondering if anyone has tried to change beam supports with a bunch of strong guys to lift/support pool while doing it?

There is NO way you can find enough guys to lift that pool. If you did it would stress the frame so bad it will break.
On the skimmer issue. I use an over the wall skimmer and I will tell you why. Every through the wall skimmer I have seen installed they cut the liner below the double bead. It means you will have 6 inches less water in the pool. Yes there has been some adjusting, and I do have to take it out when my grown men sons get to rough housing but that 6 inches of water is worth it.

Yeah, that's what I figured... I just thought, since we have a party this weekend, maybe we could try to lift one at a time... But I see we are going to have to empty it. Thank you for the advie for the wall skimmer, that actually just completely changed my mind, I certainly dont want to lose 6 inches!!!

Hello Ameliethib,
I reciently bought (18) 8" x 16" X 4" solid concrete blocks from lowes to bring back into level my AG pool. I used a handyman jack lifiting in the center of a 4" X 4". A chain hooked around the end of the 4 x 4 and the top rail to lift it while i dug out under the legs to install the blocks. I lifted less than 2 inches at a time and took my time doing it so as not to overly stress the liner.
Would i recommend anyone else doing it? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!
Why did i do it this way? My water is so clear from using the TFP Method that i can read the year of a quarter on the bottom. Well let me rephrase that, i could read it if my eyesight were that good, but i can tell if its heads or tails and it seemed like such a waste to drain the water.

Hello Ameliethib,
I reciently bought (18) 8" x 16" X 4" solid concrete blocks from lowes to bring back into level my AG pool. I used a handyman jack lifiting in the center of a 4" X 4". A chain hooked around the end of the 4 x 4 and the top rail to lift it while i dug out under the legs to install the blocks. I lifted less than 2 inches at a time and took my time doing it so as not to overly stress the liner.
Would i recommend anyone else doing it? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!
Why did i do it this way? My water is so clear from using the TFP Method that i can read the year of a quarter on the bottom. Well let me rephrase that, i could read it if my eyesight were that good, but i can tell if its heads or tails and it seemed like such a waste to drain the water.

So we are back from vacation and I am working on the pool again... I am worried about using the 8" x 16" x 16" concrete blocks from Lowes just because they are not very wide... I could not find the 16x16 pavers online or anywhere I called. I have been on hold with intex for 14:03, 14:04, 14:05 min and counting! I don't think they can help but I guess i figured I would try! How did you put them up? How about using 2 transverse ones per leg? We have a rectangular pool so I understand the weight is much greater on the legs than with the circular pools..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.